Old Style Buffalo Hunt!

Talk about North American big game hunting.
TONK
.204 Ruger Guns: I own a .204 Ruger & 25-06 Ruger!

Old Style Buffalo Hunt!

Post by TONK »

Well gents, I am planning on a Buffalo hunt or Bison as some folks refer to them sometime in March if it can be arranged. I'll be using my Sharps 1874 with 34 inch barrel in the caliber called the 45/120. It will launch a 550 grn bullet towards a bull at 200 yards (I hope for that distance) having some 2,600 lbs of energy at the muzzle. This is a type of hunt I have always wanted to do but just never seemed to be able to put together.
Thank a VET for your Freedom!
Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

Re: Old Style Buffalo Hunt!

Post by Mike »

That sounds like a very cool hunt, Tonk. Are you planning to hunt somewhere in the Dakotas?
GTOHunter
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by GTOHunter »

I hope Your Dream comes true Tonk.....sounds like its going to be a very Exciting Hunt,remember plenty of pictures! :D :wink:
TONK
.204 Ruger Guns: I own a .204 Ruger & 25-06 Ruger!

Post by TONK »

Mike I wanted to go to the "big sky country" of Montana but that is a loooooong way and the cost of gas would be counter productive in what we got in the meat to bring home. I am not sure just where this hunt might take place as of yet. I just got my 45/120 Sharps back from Lee Shaver in Lamar, Missouri last week. NO brass in 3 & 1/4 length yet but I hope to find some real soon.

GTO-Hunter, thank you sir!
Now how did you come by the name GTO-Hunter? I am curious, as I once ran one of the hottest GTO'S (Green Machine) on the dragstrips, however I could not keep up with Mickey T. and Peterson's Publishing Co. they did have lots of money to spend back in those days.
Thank a VET for your Freedom!
sharps45-120
.204 Ruger Guns: Kimber 84M .204 Ruger

Post by sharps45-120 »

Hey TONK, I took my first & only Bison hunt and shot a 3 year old bull with my 17 Remington centerfire I have had for years. I used a 25gr Burger Moly coated bullet & dropped it like a ton of bricks. 2 friends with me were amazed the buffalo dropped like it's legs were cut off. I also have shot & owned a Sharps 45-120. I have some load listings if you want them. You can get brass from STARLINE the last I heard. I am working up loads for my 204 Ruger & hope to shoot some small & big game with it also.
venison_burger
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 sps chambered in .204 ruger

Post by venison_burger »

On our way out to hunt turkeys in the Black Hills last spring, my Dad and I stopped at an old friend's place near Reliance, SD. The guy we visited is a biologist who used to work with my old man, but now works for the Lower Brule Sioux Reservation. They have buffalo hunts among other great hunts. They are located in central South Dakota. It might be a closer hunt for you than MT.

http://www.lbst.org/newsite/wildlife.htm
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

Best of Luck TONK!! Can't wait to read the trip report!!!!!! :wink:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Guy M

Post by Guy M »

March is coming right up... :D
wato444
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by wato444 »

Hello dude..my father is also use this gun specially for the hunt because they said that this gun is just making for the hunter its range is also good...how much buffalo were you hunted??can you see me some pics if you have....