Western Nebraska & Colorado PD count

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Western Nebraska & Colorado PD count

Post by acloco »

I travelled from Western Nebraska thru Limon, CO to Colorado Springs, CO ......TWICE. Prairie dog count was 10.

Antelope count between Brush and Limon was 88. Several nice bucks in various bunches as well.
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Re: Western Nebraska & Colorado PD count

Post by Hotshot »

In Colorado the prairie dogs all live in town. Check out Ft. Collins, Windsor,Greely, Loveland, Longmont, and all over Denver. Any open space is a dog town. Colorado also has the countries highest incidence of plague cases in humans. Duhhh!
skb2706

Post by skb2706 »

Being a life long resident here in CO I can say two things about that. First no matter which route you took from Limon to CS, neither takes you thru prime doggin areas. You slept on part of the trip. I just spent 2 days out on the prairie and me and another fella shot 500 rds. between us. We shoot pretty casual because we don't have to go far to shoot 'em. Could have shot many more.

PS if you only saw 88 antelope thru that stretch, you either lost count, can't see or again...you fell asleep.
TC Contender Carbine
23" MGM Shilen SS barrel
Weaver KT15

TC Contender G2 Carbine
23" factory CM barrel
Mueller 4.5 x 14 Eradicator
acloco

Post by acloco »

skb2706 wrote: PS if you only saw 88 antelope thru that stretch, you either lost count, can't see or again...you fell asleep.
LOL! That was only counting what I saw with one eye.
race4hills

Post by race4hills »

Hotshot, you forgot Boulder, the biggest one. The only city thats builds around their cute and cuddly prairie rats! :eek:
204 try it you'll like it!
skb2706

Post by skb2706 »

acloco wrote:
skb2706 wrote: PS if you only saw 88 antelope thru that stretch, you either lost count, can't see or again...you fell asleep.
LOL! That was only counting what I saw with one eye.
Now for future reference, next time you make that trip..pm me. I can let you in on a little diversion that will change your whole perspective on the eastern plains prairie dogs. Not even far out of your way. Lucky for us that most prairie dogs in Colorado that live away from the metro area cannot be seen from the highway.
TC Contender Carbine
23" MGM Shilen SS barrel
Weaver KT15

TC Contender G2 Carbine
23" factory CM barrel
acloco

Post by acloco »

Will do.

Usually, my trips to Colorado Springs are of the "quick trip" variety - just to visit our oldest daughter. But, will keep this in mind.

THANKS!!
skb2706

Post by skb2706 »

Going to go back out this weekend just to confirm my suspicions...there are still a few left.
TC Contender Carbine
23" MGM Shilen SS barrel
Weaver KT15

TC Contender G2 Carbine
23" factory CM barrel
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

My father had a first cousin who lived in Limon for many years, he ranched a lot of ground there. We visited his place way back in 1968, I was nine years old, so the details are a bit fuzzy as to location, but I seem to recall his ranch house was located in the split from I-70 to the road to Colorado Springs.

He took us all over his places, (he had three ranches), and I DO vividly remember him tromping the gas in his pickup and reaching past my nose to get into the glovebox to get a S&W out, as he was chasing a coyote across one of his pastures :lol: We'd been out counting the antelope on his place, he had 49 there at the time, he knew all the dams and sires, and all the little ones, too. Nice guy, he passed away a few years ago, never knew what happened to his ranches afterward. His son had chemical dependency issues, I don't know what happened to him, either. Likely as not, both are long gone.
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!