2012 Prairie dog adventures

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

2012 Prairie dog adventures

Post by Mike »

I'm starting to look at options for this year and wonder where prairie dogs can be found in good numbers. I've been to WY, SD and KS in the past years, but it seems that my contacts in those areas aren't looking too great for the upcoming season. I don't expect anyone to hand out addresses or phone numbers. I'm a big boy and I can do my own work. I'm just looking for general areas where the targets are abundant and the land isn't all leased up by outfitters, so that I can start prospecting.

Thanks,
Mike
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: 2012 Prairie dog adventures

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Mike - If you'd like more shooting than with PD's, better weather and less ferocious wind, consider ground squirrels instead. They are also much dumber, so stay up even when the shooting is hot, and don't all dive for cover inside of 300 yards when the shooting starts.

One of our own forum members runs a great outfit here, and has some of the best shooting I've ever had in my life. Farther to go for you I know, but an experience not soon forgotten. Some of the flying rats pictured on his site are mine. :wink:

http://www.no-off-season.com/guided-hunts.html

Tim Titus and his son Ben are both varmint shooters/hunters; Ben has scored on rock chucks with his .243 Ackley past 1,000 yards, and is known here as verminator2. Great folks. :D
Last edited by Rick in Oregon on Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Mike

Post by Mike »

Rick,

I've definitely considered the ground squirrels, but time will probably not allow for such a road trip with my shooting buddies. We're looking for something that's within about 900 miles of Springfield or St. Louis (closer is good, but better shooting is the top priority).

Thanks,
Mike
TD-Max

Post by TD-Max »

From what I gather the Wall SD area is pretty decent. I've had so-so shooting in my outings, but I'm looking to get back out again this spring. Memorial weekend works well for me but of course the weather is hit and miss pretty bad at that time.
Sako VLSS Set Trigger in .204 with Leupold VXIII 4.5-14x50 LR
Sako VLSS Set Trigger in 22-250 with Swaro Z5 5-25x52 BRX and turret
Sako Stainless Synth in .260 with Swaro Z5 3.5-18x44 BRX
Ruger MKIII 678GC with Ultradot Matchdot
Mike

Post by Mike »

Thanks for the tip, TD. We went near Winner, SD a couple years ago and used a "guide" on reservation land. Plenty of dogs, but they were very highly educated and our "guide" was less than impressive. Do you hit reservation land or private ground up there?
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Mike: I've had some good dog shoots in the Murdo, SD area too....worth checking out. There's more than one guide service that utilizes that area.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Mike

Post by Mike »

Rick: Thanks for the tip. I usually try to get permission to shoot directly from land owners, but it's good to know that guides are available if I have to fall back on something. I have a couple new shooting sticks that need to be properly broken in this year. :D