How Many Rifles???

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
Vartarg
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 77MkII Target, Remington LVSF

Re: How Many Rifles???

Post by Vartarg »

After getting some positive input about perhaps taking my Savage 6BR to the PD fields, I loaded up some 70gr Nosler BTs last night, using IMR8208 at 100 yards. This was my best group, with velocity of 3400fps.....

I think the 6BR is going North this summer!

PEACE-Through Superior Firepower
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Oooohhhh.....the grass rats are REALLY gonna hate that rifle!

Great group, nice shooting. I predict great fun for you in the rat patch this summer! ;)

For the record as to how many rifles.......a bystander would think my crew and I were on a spec-op mission if they saw the inside of our enclosed "Rodent Support Vehicle" trailer. The stack of hard cases is rediculous, but when you have four guys all taking at least 3, and usually up to six rifles apiece, the logical question is always "do we really NEED this may rifles and this much gear just to kill squirrels?" :eek:

The answer is 'no' of course, but it sure makes it alot more fun and easier on those match barrels! :wink: Case in point....here's my bench last weekend positioned on a hill overlooking a prime rat-infested alfalfa field. Check out the stack of hard cases behind my support table.......

"Yes Grasshopper......having many rifles in the Rat Patch is a good thing." Check out the quantity of squirrel mounds from my bench with a telephoto shot.......

'Nuff said? :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

In my opinion, You cannot have too many rifles, or any other guns, for that matter, no matter at home or in the "rat patch"
Can you tell I love all firearms. And for some shooting at home, in the city limits, give me my pellet guns. I need to keep shooting! :mrgreen:
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
Bodei
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa Mod 1500 24" BBL .204R; Cooper M21 20 VT; CZ 527 17HH

Post by Bodei »

I am so jealous of that 6BR, it is #1 on my "next gun" purchase. Too bad I'm still paying off my last guns! Which Savage 6BR do you have? Got a pic and specs for it? I think it will be well served on PDs, especially on those windy days (every day) when you need to reach out and touch em.

@Rick- Wow that field you got there needs a M2 Browning belt fed in .204 Ruger or .17 HMR...like this...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaBpeTRL1QA
K = ½mv2
Vartarg
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 77MkII Target, Remington LVSF

Post by Vartarg »

Savage F Class.....
PEACE-Through Superior Firepower
Bodei
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa Mod 1500 24" BBL .204R; Cooper M21 20 VT; CZ 527 17HH

Post by Bodei »

Nice! That's what I was thinking about getting. Please let me know how you like it on your trip. Bet it's hard to find a carrying case with that 30" barrel.
K = ½mv2
tuck2

Post by tuck2 »

The 17 HMR, 17 Fireball, and 204 Ruger rifles are the ones I use most often. But in the spring when the pups first come out I use a 17 HM2 and leave the 204 Ruger ar home. I only have to dive a few miles to get to a prairie dog town so I go home for lunch , change rifles, get more ammo, take a nap sometimes befor going out for an afternoon shoot. Most early mornings there is less chance for the wind to be blowning so I like to get an early start with the three rifles.