Moon light ambush

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
Hedge
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage model 12 FLV

Moon light ambush

Post by Hedge »

Finally got my first night time coyote.

I've been seeing lots of coyote tracks in my NW pasture and got their movement pattern figured out. Haven't seen a day light coyote around my place but twice this year. Seems they're moving at night. Since they're call savvy, I figured an ambush was the only way.

I had a clear night with plenty of pristine snow, no wind and a full moon. Grabbed my chair, sticks and .204 and hoofed it to a pre-chosen spot. On the way, I thought I saw movement on the 2-track about 300 yds. ahead. I watched for about 5 minutes but couldn't be sure. I tossed it off to illusion. You know how clumps of weeds can seem to wander at night if you look too long.

Got to my spot and set up to wait. I knew they crossed the north end of the pasture and I had a clear field of fire from my set. Not 15 minutes after I got set up I caught movement to my left, near the fence. Sure enough, something was working its way through. It looked like a feral cat by the way it slinked through. But it couldn't be. I knew that spot to be about 50 yds away and that figure was too big for a cat.

It was trotting north and away from me as I brought my rifle up to get a better look through the scope. Just as I did, it turned broadside to me. It was definitely a coyote and the cross hairs were on the neck. The muzzle flash momentarily blinded me but when I could see again, there was the coyote, DRT. Range finder said it was 119 yds.

As a side note, I backtracked that coyote and discovered there were 2 of them and they were, indeed, what I had seen coming down the road. They had cut into a thicket on the west and then came back after I settled in. The one I got crossed the fence and the other was moving down the ditch where I couldn't see it. I should have stayed put, because the next day there were tracks indicating a coyote had come back to investigate.

Going back out, shortly. Conditions are perfect. Wish me luck!
Savage 12 FCV .204 Ruger
Viper PST FFP 4-16x50

ImageImage
======
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity" Sigmund Freud.
ryutzy
.204 Ruger Guns: Superior Arms Custom AR-15 Leopold VXIII 4.5-14X50

Re: Moon light ambush

Post by ryutzy »

Wayy to go! I've been shooting them at night from my house now that the snow has the ground covered. Last year I shot nine from my house either from my front door or my living room window lol.
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Stay humble, Stay teacheable
Song Dog
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 10, 12, & 16

Post by Song Dog »

Wtg! Wish we had a little snow here.
PREDATOR DYNAMICS (facebook)
Foxpro Western Dealer Rep.
God's Country Camouflage-Fieldstaff
"A man with an experience has volumes more than a man with a theory"
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

Congratulations on a very nice coyote!! You gonna do anything with that hide. It's a purdy white coyote. I've only seen them in the usual colors, blondes & black. That is the lightest by far.
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Hedge
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage model 12 FLV

Post by Hedge »

Thanks, guys.

Yup, she was a nice color. Sold to a fur buyer yesterday. The hide I plan on keeping is from that big one around here. If I ever get him. But, he didn't get big by being dumb.
Savage 12 FCV .204 Ruger
Viper PST FFP 4-16x50

ImageImage
======
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity" Sigmund Freud.
vmaster59
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527

Post by vmaster59 »

Good looking coyote!

Clint
-----------------CLICK HERE-----------------
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

Thats cool. That sure was a purdy one!!
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen