Anschutz Rockchuck Walkabout

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Anschutz Rockchuck Walkabout

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Got a call last evening from my horse rancher neighbor lady asking me to come over this morning and thin out some rockchucks and sage rats. This is a bi-annual event for me, and I usually take my Cooper M38 20VT, but today I decided to take my Anschutz 1517HB in 17HMR.

Most shots at this place don't go much over 200 yards, so I was hoping the little HMR would anchor large chucks at this range. I was not disappointed. "Annie" on her bipod in the field:

The scope is a Leupold VX2 4-12X 40mm AO with their excellent LR Duplex reticle in Talley rings & mounts....perfect for use on the HMR. I was using Hornady Varmint Express 17gr V-Max's, and it appears my early fears about adequate stopping power on the larger chucks was unfounded, as least at these ranges. In all, I shot 8 chucks, 2 large adults, and six juveniles:

Not a bad way to spend a morning before mowing the lawn. I'm getting used to this retirement thing more every day. Another shot of the area:

All these chucks were shot from a fixed prone position firing from 188 yards on a long sprawling rock pile:

One area had a large squirrel mound complex. I wacked quite a few at 133 yards all coming out of and running into a single hole.....bad move on their part:

At this limited range, the little HMR really puts the hurt on Skippy and his pals:

Parting shot at the ranch looking NW to Mt. Jefferson, an extinct volcano, one a dozens around here:

I won't be using my HMR's for chucks all the time, but this trip proved to me that for ranges under 200 yards, and taking head shots only if possible, it's completely adequate. Not to mention a fun morning prior to lawn duties...... (But next spring, I know "Scooter", my Cooper 20VT will get the nod. :wink: )
Last edited by Rick in Oregon on Fri May 23, 2014 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: Anschutz Rockchuck Walkabout

Post by Bill K »

Thank you Rick, as usual very nice photo's and shots of critters and rifle/s. :D Bill K :)
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

Those 17's are a hoot for sure. Thanks for the tour.

Jim
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

Great write up, Rick, and great pics as usual. I have to agree that times like these are way better than lawn duties! :lol:
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

I can't begin to tell you how much I enjoy shooting groundhogs with my 17HMR!! If the groundhog didn't fall over at the break of the trigger I wouldn't even realize the fire was lit under those little 17gr'ers. :lol: :lol:

Nice mess of chucks Rick!!

Have you tried the 20gr XTP offerings from Hornady in your HMR? For head shots I like them better than the V-Max. They just hit harder IMO. :twisted: :twisted:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Glen wrote:Have you tried the 20gr XTP offerings from Hornady in your HMR? For head shots I like them better than the V-Max. They just hit harder IMO. :twisted: :twisted:
Glen, have not, but after spending a day shooting chucks with the Hornady 17gr offering, if I take the HMR out again for chucks, it will most likely be loaded with the 20gr XTP's for the added bullet weight. Some of these boys get upwards of 16 lbs, so want as much smack as I can get.

This HMR-shot female probably weighed about 12lbs herself:

Truth be known, I'll most likely be using my 20VT again at this ranch though......never any doubt about the hit being "completely effective"...... :wink: But man-alive, what an excellent rat caliber the 17HMR is!
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

I hear ya on those big hogs Rick!! We've pounded some in the 14lb range here as well. It can take a lot to anchor those ones sometimes.

FWIW-- I've found with the 20gr'ers that unless I hit some solid bone like the skull,, they just tended to pass right thru with a small wound channel most of the time. Even on chest shots. Now complete broadside shots were very effective by keeping the shot going thru the shoulder joint. But I've found that head shots are where those 20's shine brightest.
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen