Red eyes

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
VAshooter
.204 Ruger Guns: NEF Handi-rifle

Red eyes

Post by VAshooter »

Im new to predator hunting, and have a question I was out calling the other night and I started scanning the field and saw 2 red eyes but could not make out the type of critter it was. My scan light is red if I use a red light will everything have red eyes.I was just wondering if different animals have different eye colors I did not take a shot because I was not sure if it was a coyote or not.with out seeing the animal how can I tell the difference between different animals. Thank you for any help you can give me.
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Re: Red eyes

Post by futuretrades »

It is my belief that the color of the eyes you see in the night will depend on the color of the light that the eyes are reflecting back at you. Here's a test to see if my theory is right. Try shining your red light into a dogs eyes, and note the color reflecting back at you. Then shine a flash light into the dogs eyes and note the color of the eyes looking back at you. I would be willing to bet that you will find red eyes looking back at you when using your red light, and somewhat of a greenish colored eyes looking back at you when using a flash light. I know that every time I catch an animal in my headlights, I see greenish eyes looking back at me. "Red eye" in a flash photograph is caused by the capillaries in the eyes, because the flash on a camera is very intense, and is a white light.

Test my theory, and let us know what you find. You did the right thing by not shooting a target you are not sure of! :eek:
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
VAshooter
.204 Ruger Guns: NEF Handi-rifle

Re: Red eyes

Post by VAshooter »

Thanks im going to try your test this week end and let you know Thanks
boomer84
.204 Ruger Guns: remington 700 sps varmint

Red eyes

Post by boomer84 »

I know foxes eyes glow a bright red/ orange in a normal spot light and cats a bright green/yellow both much brighter than most farm animals!

Boomer.