20VT and Fireball Fun in the Rat Patch

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

20VT and Fireball Fun in the Rat Patch

Post by Rick in Oregon »

As the season is just getting started here in Oregon, the rats are out in full force already. In another month or so, the young ones will be out too, and that really gets the season going big-time. :D

As the rats are plentiful and stupid, I only took my Cooper 20VT and 221FB along on this trip, as with all the rats you could possibly shoot inside 400 yards, not much need for the added firepower/range of my 204's this trip. These two little rounds don't eat much powder, and still give performance all out of proportion to their size.

A look downrange over my bench and Cooper M38 Phoenix in 221FB:

Hard at it with my 20VT, or "Scooter" as she's called, having my way with Skippy. I was shooting rats all along the fenceline at the far end of the field in the pic, right at 260 yards....no problem for the 20VT's 32 gr SBK at 3,700 fps:

My 20VT shoots about every poly-tipped 32gr bullet well, but the smallest groups I've every shot with any rifle has been with this one shooting the Sierra 32gr BK over RL-7 in Lapua neck-turned and annealed cases. This is a bunch of that load all ready for fireforming on the rats in Brad's (CRT) excellent Bench Tray: (If you like quality equipment that performs as advertised and looks better than it has to, then his line of handloading accessories is for you.)

Skippy's second worst nightmare....."Scooter", my Cooper 20VT on the bags between strings. (The nightmare of the First Order is one of my 204's....talk about air-time! :wink: )

Here he is in person, lurking just behind his mound at 225 yards, waiting to see what happens next: (taken with a Nikon 300mm lens)

If you would like to see just exactly what did happen next, check out the short video here titled "Skippy Earns His Wings"..... :D

My friend Steve from South Africa with his Savage 17HMR having his way with the rodents. His grin says it all:

Steve is ex-South Africa military and former LE and really knows his way around a rifle. The rats that day were duly impressed.

Here's the obligatory pic of Skipppy after his first flying lesson courtesy of the 32gr SBK out of my 20VT. It appears he won't be home for dinner. :lol:

Now it's back to the loading bench to crank out more ammo for another upcoming trip to the ranch to save some more alfalfa from the voracious munchers. It's a tough job, but someone's gotta do it, right? :wink:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: 20VT and Fireball Fun in the Rat Patch

Post by Bill K »

Thank you RIck. And hello Steve. Enjoy, know you will, your stay with Rick. :D Bill K
Last edited by Bill K on Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bodei
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa Mod 1500 24" BBL .204R; Cooper M21 20 VT; CZ 527 17HH

Post by Bodei »

Man, you retired guys have all the fun!
K = ½mv2
Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Post by Ryan S Albright »

Looks Great. We had a bad year with drought last year but this year looks better. Its been two years since I have made a long range trip to shoot skippy . Hope to make it this year. I have been reduced to using air rifles here in So Cal. Every call in about a gun shot gets a visit by the Sheriff they will even seed helicopters to dig you out of the hills.
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

So much fun & so little time RIO!! :lol: :lol:

I think all those rats made it home for dinner in a different manner of which you speak. :lol: :lol:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

Another very excellent post Rick. I think another trip is in my future very soon :mrgreen: As always enjoy your write ups and pics!
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

futuretrades wrote:I think another trip is in my future very soon :mrgreen:
Thanks Kevin, I think another trip should be in your future. See you at the Rat Rodeo soon, rifle in hand! :D

You'll most likely remember this setting from last year, you and your signature 'wet-towel' barrel-cooling method:

Skippy and his pals are waiting.....we can't let them down! :wink:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

hemiallen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 204r, 20vt one Sako-one Cooper, 17FB 17HH, 17JAVALENA

Post by hemiallen »

Dag nab it Rick, another post to get my trigger finger itching,lol.

Mike and I went up late last year and shot that field, but halfway south to where you cross the waterway. We shot the heck out of them. It amazed us how alive that field was even after all the shooting the year before. It was Possibly the most shooting from one spot for us, all downhill toward the pivot. That is where Michael claimed the 17HH CZ Varmint that made me buy another when we were in Maui, through Buds and a tip from C miller. He is another guy who costs me $, lol.

Sure hope the little ones are out, they sure make stalking and sticks a fun process with the 17hmr's.

Load em all up, you might need them.

Allen
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

hemiallen wrote:Dag nab it Rick, another post to get my trigger finger itching,lol.

Sure hope the little ones are out, they sure make stalking and sticks a fun process with the 17hmr's.
Allen....good news! It appears some of the little ones ARE out 'n about. So the main hatch can't be far off. Now if we could just FIND plenty of HMR ammo on a shelf somewhere.......

I might need to take my .17 Ackley Hornet this time (20gr V-Max at 3,860 fps.)

The little ones are not too fond of that rifle one bit! :wink:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

hemiallen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 204r, 20vt one Sako-one Cooper, 17FB 17HH, 17JAVALENA

Post by hemiallen »

Cool.

I believe that would be the ruger #3 with a Canjar single set trigger?
My Sako 20vt has one, sure makes the Sako almost as good as the cooper...lol.

Yea, we may need to help some ranchers mow alfalfa...

Allen
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

hemiallen wrote:I believe that would be the ruger #3 with a Canjar single set trigger?
My Sako 20vt has one, sure makes the Sako almost as good as the cooper...lol.
Good guess, but that rifle has a custom-made trigger assembly from Broad Creek Rifle Works who specializes in Ruger single shot rifles; it breaks at 7 ozs. The Canjar single set trigger you're thinking about is in my Ruger No.1V in 223.

The Rat Nightmare....the .17 Ackley Hornet:

What's neat about this rifle is it's the same overall size as a 10-22, carries like one, but has true 400 yard reach. (Record rat hit: 428 yds :eek: )

Too many rifles.....not enough time...... :wink:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

dan97526
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper M21, Cooper 38 20VT, CZ 17H

Post by dan97526 »

Nice Hornet Rick. What action is that? Low-wall?

This is just killing me. Finally got to the reloading bench after procrastinating all winter, and a week of rain coming up.
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

dan97526 wrote:Nice Hornet Rick. What action is that? Low-wall?

This is just killing me. Finally got to the reloading bench after procrastinating all winter, and a week of rain coming up.
Dan, that rifle action is a Ruger No.3 wearing a Pac-Nor SS Super Match barrel turned to the factory contour in a B&C stock set. As the No.3 uses a straight grip stock, I had to bend the action lever to fit the new pistol grip stock (and re-blue it), but it works like a charm.

Yeah, the rain sucks, but as it's raining again now, today will be spent at my reloading bench too, filling all the 20VT cases shot last weekend on another rat-elimination mission for a sheep rancher here.

The rain does indeed suck, but it creates a good window of time for "bench stuff". :wink: Once the wet stops, I hope you're able to get out and have your way with the squirrels too. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA