Coaxial Front Rest for shooting Skippy

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
dan97526
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper M21, Cooper 38 20VT, CZ 17H

Coaxial Front Rest for shooting Skippy

Post by dan97526 »

Friends,

I seem to be missing a lot of potential shots due to slow elevation adjustment on my Cowan rest. My shooting style tends to be to scan for targets through my scope by rotating my bench, and then once one is spotted dial elevation using the mariner wheel and/or speed screw. Any fine windage adjustments are made by sliding the rear of the rifle rather than adjusting the top.

The problem is that the rats sometimes don't stand still long enough for me to change elevation and therefore I miss a lot of shot opportunities. Windage is less of a problem.

I was hoping that a coaxial rest such as the Farley, SEB, or ShadeTree would allow me the make the elevation changes via the joystick adjustment, therefore getting on target quicker.

So has any tried using a coaxial rest for varmint shooting?

Thanks,
Dan
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Coaxial Front Rest for shooting Skippy

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Dan, I've been shooting Skippy 'seriously' since 1968 (meaning not just with a .22LR), and use a Sinclair All-Purpose Front Rest and a Protektor rear bag (along with everyone in my crew). I've found that once you set the rough/primary elevation on the front rest, all minor elevation changes can be made easily just by moving the rear bag slightly forward or rearward, and minor windage changes by just slightly scooting the rear bag left or right as needed. This system is fast, works for intermediate ranges, out past 500 yards and has worked for many years without the high cost and intricate nature of something like a Farley coaxial unit.

"Wicked Wanda", my Cooper MTV in 204R on the bench with the Sinclair Front Rest with Protektor No. 13B rear bag. Tens of thousands of squirrels have been launched with this setup:

You may find that by using something complicated like a coaxial unit, you'll spend too much time fiddling and dinking about with the adjustments, and still miss that shot on those very anxious squirrels. The method described above not only works, but works very well indeed, especially with a rotating bench. Keep in mind that the coaxial rests are used by serious BR shooters to make finite adjustments at a slow pace. Squirrel shooting is anything BUT slow paced, so choose wisely and buy once. Also keep in mind the "KISS" principal......in this case, less is better. :wink:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

dan97526
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper M21, Cooper 38 20VT, CZ 17H

Post by dan97526 »

Thanks again, Rick. I am feeling a bit sheepish right now - It never occurred to me to control elevation by sliding the rear bag up and down the stock. I'll try that before I drop a bunch of money on a coaxial top.
huntsman22
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger 77VT and ruger mkII Ultralite

Post by huntsman22 »

Heck with those fancy-smancy rests in the killing fields. Make one outta an old car scissor jack. Way faster vertical, way more adjustment range for slope shooting. Mine will go to 16" ....... Go ahead. Laugh all ya want, but I'll be shooting, while you guys are fiddle-fugging with those wheelie deallies....

skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

You know, if you chucked up a reversible drill on that thing you could get a deal on Shark Tank. You might even be the next millionaire.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

My choice for shooting skippy is whats called a Varminter Rest. Don't know if this particular model is still available or not, but I still see a few different variations of my rest on the market. Been using this rest for maybe 45 years now. Really fast, and fine adjustments for elevation. The stock is supported very well, as is the forearm of your rifle. I can not and will not disagree with RIO's setup, but for my shooting style, probably in my own mind :chin: , is too slow for me. I do find myself shooting way too fast in a target rich environment, and have to switch out my rifles very often, to keep my barrels from over heating! :eek:
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.