Pawnee Grasslands PDog Hunts

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
PDog Rex
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS

Pawnee Grasslands PDog Hunts

Post by PDog Rex »

:D Been out to the Pawnee Natl Grasslands about a dozen times this summer starting on June 16th when "public land" is open for shooting PDogs.
It was a very wet spring and made for some nice green countryside, with nice yellow wildflowers. My first hunt was on June 16th and I actually had to use 4wheel drive to get from a county road into a good hunting area (muddy). The hunting was excellent and the young pups (about 3/4 size) of an adult were very abundant. Although the adults were barking at danger the young pups would run for the mounds and then look around to see what all the warnings were all about, making it easy pickings. I went out on the 16th of June and then again on the 19th, shot a total of 450 rounds in those 2 days, never have I shot that many rounds at anytime, that shows you how many "targets" there really were. I wore woodland camo until the end of July, last year I switched to desert camo right after the Fourth of July.
Hopefully the pictures turn out OK, as you can see from the one photo how nice and green it really was this spring and in the same photo some of the PDog mounds. The photo of the 2 PDogs one with torso shot and one with head shot was my First Double at 77 yards, I had one in the crosshairs and out pops another, perfectly lined up! :eek:
http://s44.photobucket.com/user/PDogRex ... /PDogs%207

Rex
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Pawnee Grasslands PDog Hunts

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Rex: As another PD and ground squirrel addict, I'd like to suggest using the "IMG" code vs. the http code to properly display your pics on the forum.

Looks like you had fun, and that's the point, but we'd all like to see the photos without clicking to get there. Jus' sayin'........

Thanks for taking the time to share the adventure! :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Sidewinderwa
.204 Ruger Guns: Savages

Re: Pawnee Grasslands PDog Hunts

Post by Sidewinderwa »

Sounds like you got a nice little honey hole for a target rich environment! Prairie dogs are so much fun to shoot. You can get some great long range shooting in. Sage rats can be the fast and furious shooting. What rifle(s) are you using?
Please, no Sidewinder today!