Barrel Cleaning

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
rileydog
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint, Tikka Stainless Steel Varmint

Barrel Cleaning

Post by rileydog »

As I have experienced, the number of rounds fired at Skippy in Cedarville can run into a couple hundred per rifle per day.
Wanted to get some feedback from the veteran squirrel shooters on how many rounds between cleaning the barrel. I typically change rifles out so not to overheat the barrel, which can certainly happen up there.
I have two varmint rifles that now have new barrels, so wanted to make sure they get the appropriate care.
Thanks.
TEXAS222
.204 Ruger Guns: custom build AR 15-Rem 700 .204 VARMINT- .204 Kimber Pro Var

Re: Barrel Cleaning

Post by TEXAS222 »

Assuming the barrel is broken in, and I'm not going to get in that hunt, I usually semi clean every 50 rounds or so. While changing between several different rifles to let barrels cool, for each rifle after about 50 rounds I run 2 wet patches of Butch's & let set while shooting another rifle. When back to that rifle, I run 1 more wet patch then 3 or 4 dry patches then lock-ease & a dry patch. Ready for another round and then a good cleaning that night. That's just how I do it & have had good luck.
Jim D :camper:
surfclod
.204 Ruger Guns: None

Post by surfclod »

I like to use Wipe-Out foaming bore cleaner.

When in the field the plan is to start out with a perfectly clean barrel then do a quick cleaning every 50-75 rounds, (occasionally go as many as 100). This usually happens once at mid day since my average is 75 to 150 rounds in a day of centerfire. Just one pass with Accelerator then 15 minutes of the foam soaking in the barrel is my "quick cleaning" routine.

Also make sure to have a clean barrel ready for the busier times of the day. In my area the action is heavier in the morning 8:30-10:00 , then tames down a bit during the heat of the day, to ramp up again when they feed before retiring for the night (at about 4:30-6:00, but occasionally as late at 9:00pm on the long days here in the north).

When back home the barrel gets fully cleaned again ready for the next outing.
Coyotecontrole
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700 sps 12" twist w/bell&carl tac stk timney trigger

Post by Coyotecontrole »

Reloads or factory and dirty or clean powder if you hand load. I just carry a bore snake. Take a break and run it through ever 20 to 30
Darkker
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger Predator

Post by Darkker »

Only when accuracy drops, with this Ruger that is around 400 rounds.
I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

I have several rifles so I can clean and shoot at the same time. The bullets are bare and this is what has worked for me;

- 204 Ruger; 50 shots and clean
- 20 VT; 75 shots and clean
- 221 FB; 75 shots and clean
- 17 HMR; 50 shots and clean

In the field I use a mixture of Shooters Choice and Kroil. After brushing and soaking, it usually takes about 4 patches and they come out clean. Afterwards I follow up with the Lock-Ease treatment and set her aside until I'm ready to use it again. The hardest one for me to clean is my 17 HMR. I just put together a 223 upper an haven't tried it out in the field but it would end up with the same routine as the 204.

They all will shoot accurately for many rounds beyond my regiment but they take longer to clean too. When I get home they get the Wipe Out/Patch Out Treatment and then put away until the next outing.

HTH,