Morning HMR Rock Chuck Walkabout

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Morning HMR Rock Chuck Walkabout

Post by Rick in Oregon »

The local 'weather-talker' promised a nice sunny day today, so it seemed like a good idea to take my Anschutz 1517HB 17HMR for a walk to see if any rock chucks were out sunning themselves on their favorite rock pile. It turned out to be a very good idea....for me that is, not so much for the chucks. :wink:

I was greeted by the east slope of the Cascade Mountains in the morning sun, and both sage rats and chucks out and about. Each rock pile you see potentially holds a family of chucks. Each pile visible through the junipers is usually populated well.

It didn't take long to score on a chuck on each rock pile. I usually only take one per pile to ensure there's enough left to continue their romances. When using the 17HMR, head shots are a must, as body hits usually result in the chuck slithering back down some rock cave. Headaches prevailed today..... :eek:

Collective rock chuck headache:

Looking across a meadow at a long, low rock pile that always has chucks basking in the morning sun. I'm estimating that in all the years I've shot this place, I've probably taken over 50 chucks just off this one rock pile, as there's chuck dens the entire length of the outcropping. Pretty much a 'chuck condo' as it were.

On the way home from this mornings fun, this little guy was peeking out of his den on a hillside, not 400 yards from the homestead. I stopped the truck and grabbed the camera with a 200mm lens aboard and shot him out the window.

He's safe 'n sound. I like being able to see the local guys and keeping them safe, as it works as my personal "chuck barometer", as if these guys are out, it's safe to say his country cousins are also out enjoying the springtime too. Selfish motives, I know. All in all, it was a good morning to be out 'n about with a rifle. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: Morning HMR Rock Chuck Walkabout

Post by Bill K »

Thank you Rick. The story and photo's are as beautiful as ever/always. :D Bill K :)
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

Sounds like a fine morning indeed, thanks for sharing.

Jim
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Bill, Jim....thanks amigos. Next time out, it'll be time to take my Cooper 20VT for a walk with my "varmint stake".

The 17HMR is fun for early season rock chucks, but they're starting to get very wary, so the added range of the 20VT is a real plus later in the season.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

Thanks for sharing Rick. I may have to grab my HMR, to get out and try to score on some digger squarrels. I actually have a permit to shoot out my vehicle, because of my disability, and I no some of my old haunts will be loaded with targets. I'm gettin real tired of being in the house so much. And the skippy shootin don't look to promising around my area's. Thanks again Rick!
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Hey Kevin, good to hear from you again. You must be getting about much better now.

If you indeed do head out with your HMR, be sure to take your camera, or you know what we say....."no picture, it didn't happen"...... :mrgreen:

Are you using window bags for shooting out the truck window? When cruising the perimeter of the fields, I use Don Scott's (dog-gone-good) window bag with both my custom 10-22's. With my right elbow on the steering wheel cross, other elbow on the window sill and using Don's window bag, I've made some shots on squirrels that amazed even me. Rock solid, and mucho fun......good kit. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Ray P
.204 Ruger Guns: 2-Rem 700 and Ruger#1 S/S

Post by Ray P »

RIO Thank you for sharing. Yours photos are priceless and your shots on the money. Your as handy with camera as with a fine rifle.
May your spring and summer be enjoyable.
Be safe and enjoy all you do.

Later
Ray P
Life is an adventure and often to short. Make the most with family and friends. Shoot often and shoot a small hole. Love the 204 Ruger!! NRA Life Member
"We are never to old to learn"
Sidewinderwa
.204 Ruger Guns: Savages

Post by Sidewinderwa »

Great trip you had and a pretty one too. Rock chucks are so much fun to shoot. There is a 20 acre parcel that some of us have been shooting at. Since there are homes on three sides we have been using shotguns. So far we are up to 87 so far this year. Always look forward to your trips and pictures. Better get that 20 VT out or it will think you don't like her any more!
Please, no Sidewinder today!
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Sidewinderwa wrote:Better get that 20 VT out or it will think you don't like her any more!
Sidewinder & Ray.....thanks for the words of encouragement, but there's not much chance of "Scooter" (my 20VT) thinking I don't love her any more......fat chance!

Here she is again posing with the usual suspects:

And you're also right in that rock chucks are fun to shoot. I think it's about the most fun you can have with a rifle. :wink:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA