New Ruger 6mm Creedmoor rifles

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
Bodei
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa Mod 1500 24" BBL .204R; Cooper M21 20 VT; CZ 527 17HH

New Ruger 6mm Creedmoor rifles

Post by Bodei »

I've been wanting a 6mm BR rifle for a while now. I want to shoot long(er) range varmints with it. I like the idea of an efficient case/powder supply (just like the 20 VT). I see that the 6mm Creedmoor and 6.5mm are winning many of the long range competitions. The Ruger precision rifle looks like a good deal and pushes the 6mm slugs pretty fast. Anyone have an experience with this caliber or the RPR? Haven't seen much loading data yet on the 6 Creeedmoor. Looks like I'll be waiting longer for that 6mm varmint rig anyway.
K = ½mv2
savgebolt
.204 Ruger Guns: T/C Venture , model 12 savage

Re: New Ruger 6mm Creedmoor rifles

Post by savgebolt »

bodei,,,,, ive been thinking along those lines regarding a 6 mm round,,,,, you might look in accurateshooter.com , also i think there is a ruger
rifle forum somewhere , hornady does off this round so you can see the ballistics on their load , also you might check savageshooter.com for 6 creedmoor input ,,,, have fun
Sidewinderwa
.204 Ruger Guns: Savages

Post by Sidewinderwa »

The 6mm Creedmoor rifle has been popular with the PRS competition people for some time. They are happy with the accuracy and is one of the top 4 calibers used. They also said you will get about 1,500 shots before the barrel needs to be replaced for competition. They said you will get about 2,500 out of the 6.5s and about 5,000 out of the 30 calibers. Hope this helps.
Please, no Sidewinder today!
Bodei
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa Mod 1500 24" BBL .204R; Cooper M21 20 VT; CZ 527 17HH

Post by Bodei »

Yeah, I'm leaning back to the 6mmBR in maybe a Cooper. I don't think they make a 1-8 twist, though 1-10 may work...it would be more of a varmint gun than LR competition. I saw that Ruger American Predator shoot one mile in a video. Thats imprasive for a $450 rifle!
K = ½mv2
MZ5
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Hawkeye Predator

Post by MZ5 »

Wasn't that the Ruger Precision Rifle in the video?

There are some 6mm Creedmoor shooters in my rifle club (a long-range precision, aka PRS, club). It's a good cartridge. If you're not familiar, PRS-style matches are one shooter at a time, and the shooter is on a short time clock. So, you might have 30 seconds for your 5-round stage. Or 90 seconds for 10, etc. Point is, you shoot several rounds very quickly, so barrels get hot, so they don't last as long as in other applications.
Darkker
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger Predator

Post by Darkker »

Think he is taking about the guy on YouTube, name is something like: Adudeandsomeguns.

It is impressive, but not as unusual as you would think IMO. Been doing it for years with a 308 and recently a 6.5 Creed. The hardest part, aside from the wind murdering your confidence; is getting a decent spotter. There are only a couple people around here anymore who I would even think about using. Most don't know distance, have crappy optics, and don't know how to watch a trace.
I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.