Morning Walkabout with my 20VT

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Morning Walkabout with my 20VT

Post by Rick in Oregon »

The snow is finally all gone, the sun is finally out here on the high desert, and the rock chucks and sage rats are running amok. That of course means it's time to grab a rifle and do a bit of a walkabout.

Figured I'd just zip out with Ruby for an hour or so the other morning for some rock pile cruising to see what's up. In that hour I was able to shoot eight chucks from 140 yards to 310 yards. There are some controlled burns going on here, so the sky was smoky and not viable for any decent photography, so only a couple of pics of moribund chucks this time.

My Cooper M38 in 20VT got the nod for the walk: (I was running the VT with 32gr NBT's over 18.5grs of RL-7 for right at 3,700 fps)

Of course Ruby with her Basset Hound nose just HAD to do a scent inspection of the critters:

I got back home in time to clean my rifle and have a second cup of coffee after taking my pup and rifle for a refreshing morning walk. :)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

jpx2rk
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12FV, R783/20P combo

Re: Morning Walkabout with my 20VT

Post by jpx2rk »

Good read. Did Ruby "fetch 'em for you ?? :)
Master Piddler ;)
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

jpx2rk wrote:Good read. Did Ruby "fetch 'em for you ?? :)
Thanks.

No, Ruby is truck-bound when dad is out and about with his rifle. Chucks are pretty savvy, and if they see you, even at 100 yards, most will dive for cover. You may get a head and eyeball peeking over a rock, but best to keep low and slow, and pup in the truck till "it's over". ;)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

jpx2rk

Post by jpx2rk »

Rick in Oregon wrote:
jpx2rk wrote:Good read. Did Ruby "fetch 'em for you ?? :)
Thanks.

No, Ruby is truck-bound when dad is out and about with his rifle. Chucks are pretty savvy, and if they see you, even at 100 yards, most will dive for cover. You may get a head and eyeball peeking over a rock, but best to keep low and slow, and pup in the truck till "it's over". ;)
Don't blame you for keeping her safe while you're trying to bust one. I've never hunted rock chucks, but it's something I want to try one of these days if I ever get back out that way. I'm wanting to do a PD shoot out your way but have to get my "stuff" in order before I can actually plan one out. ;)
Master Piddler ;)
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

jpx2rk wrote:I'm wanting to do a PD shoot out your way but have to get my "stuff" in order before I can actually plan one out. ;)
jpx: No prairie dogs here, you've got to get over the Continental Divide to get into PD country, but most places west of the Rockies have ground squirrels and rock chucks.

Just to tease you and get your enthusiasm going, here's a pic taken a while back of a typical day out cruising the rock piles on various ranches skulking about for chucks:

Rifle is a Cooper M38 in 20 Vartarg, and has proven itself quite capable for this task. :wink:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

jpx2rk

Post by jpx2rk »

When I said "out your way: :lol: , I meant in the MT/SD/ND areas for PD's. I could probably deal with chucks and squirrels if I ever make it out to the far west. A few days of popping poodles and then go further west to stalk some chucks. Sounds like a good road trip to me. Thanks for the pictures, beautiful country you live in. I hope to see it some day.
Master Piddler ;)
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Well then jpx, until then, here's a closeup pic of a local rock chuck until you can view one through your own scope. ;)

This was taken from my truck using a 200mm lens, as there's no self-respecting rock chuck that would EVER let you get that close with a rifle in your hands! :eek:

What area do you live that you have to drive so far to shoot rodent type critters, as you do not list your location with your avatar? :?:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

jpx2rk

Post by jpx2rk »

Cool pictures.

I live near Knoxville TN. I was out in MT in the mid 90's for a PD trip, enjoyed it alot, have always wanted to go back and do it again but life got in the way (work/family/yada yada), but retired now so I trying to get my act together and make another trip out "thata way" for some fun.
Master Piddler ;)
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

jpx: Knoxville TN, eh?

I've got a very dear longtime friend in TN, up in Rogersville who's a dedicated shooter. Once a few years back when I was visiting, he and I went out with rifles and had a great time shooting woodchucks all around his "holler".

I know there are no rock chucks in TN, but you sure do have a good supply of groundhogs. Are you not able to access property that has a shootable population of them? You don't have to drive all the way to MT or other western state, as you've got some big, fat varmints right there.

Oh, and on the "retired" part......I highly recommend it! Now that I am, I sometimes wonder how I ever found the time to go to work! ;)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

jpx2rk

Post by jpx2rk »

I grew up not far from Rogersville, still have family in the "Tri-Cities" area in upper E TN.

Yeah we have GH's & yotes around here, but it's hard to find land owners that will give you permission to hunt their property. I have gotten permission from a couple of owners but their property is bordered by new construction on one or more sides, or a well traveled road/highway, so I'm very apprehensive about shooting in these types of environments.

Lots of "mini-farms" around now, everyone wants their "slice of heaven" at the foothills of the GSMNP, and large tracts of land for safe shooting is hard to find. Hence, the trips out west where there are more shooting opportunities, at least IMO.

Yeah, retirement is a good thing from my view as well. I agree, I don't see how I had time to work with all the "retired stuff" I've got going on. But I'm not gathering much dust or moss right now, so I'm not complaining at all. :)
Master Piddler ;)