Who Said Squirrels Can't Fly?

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Who Said Squirrels Can't Fly?

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Not too long ago, we had three FEET of snow on the ground here, followed by seemingly endless days of either clouds or rain. Like most around these parts, we all been whining to get out for Skippy and his pals. Even though most ranches are mud-bogs now from all the rain, we hooked up our trailers and headed out to our favorite ranch in eastern Orygun for some fun with our favorite rodent.

The weather was not ideal, but whenever the sun would come out, the rats were up in force. We were able to get in two solid days of almost non-stop shooting as a result. When it rained, we huddled in my trailer and watched "guy movies" on DVD and pigged out. On this trip I took one of my custom 10-22's for casual rat plinking from camp, my Anschutz 17HMR, my Browning 1885 Low Wall in 22 K-Hornet, and of course my favorite rat rifle, my Cooper M38 in 20VT. As I knew we would not be shooting out past 400 yards, I left all my 204's at home (oh the horror! :eek: )

This was the view from my bedroom window on the first morning....rain on the way. When it stopped, it was time for a walkabout with my 10-22. The fields were rich green and loaded with rats.

My little Browning 1885 Low Wall in 22 K-Hornet got a workout from the bench, as I normally just use this rifle for short morning walkabouts here for rock chucks. It did very well on rats using the Barnes 30gr Varmint Grenade over 13.5 grs of Lil Gun for 3,350 fps. Results on the rats was "vivid" to say the least. :wink:

The little mighty mouse performs much better than you'd think by looking at the round.

Our rancher buddy was kind enough to park his goose-neck equipment trailer perfectly situated overlooking a rat-infested part of his ranch. We promptly set up our benches, broke out rifles and went to work. This was the view from my bench on the flatbed.

We had rat action out as far as you'd care to shoot, but most action from this setup was mostly all inside of 350 yards, so with an accurate rifle, you'd connect with a "thwop!" with almost every shot. Can you say "fun"?

In this pic, if you look at the end of the field, there's a bunch of grey wooden posts stuck into the ground. Range to the posts was 283 yards; easy shot. This area had a bounty of rats that was amazing. I'd shoot one, six others would scamper about, stopping just in time for me to reload and take another shot. I fired over 60 rounds of 20VT there, and when I broke down, two golden eagles were feasting on the moribund rats.

My 20VT dope on my ocular flip-cover. Range, consult dope, click it in, acquire target, shoot and watch the launch!

My buddy Dan, being the fun guy he is, brought out his Defiance 338 Lapua Magnum for some very long range rock chuck fun. He had one teasing him at a lasered 686 yards on the rock bluff above us.

This was about as bad as my wind flag got....about 15mph. Most of our shooting conditions was better, so my little K-Hornet had a good time without having to deal with shooting a 30gr bullet in the wind. The 20VT had no wind issues whatever.

A quick tailgate cleaning of my 20VT before dinner and a movie. At this time of year, I'd rather be in rat-camp than anywhere else.

Despite some rain, it was a great trip. If the rain doesn't make all the crops grow too tall too fast, there will be more flying squirrels in the near future. Fired brass is in the tumbler, components on-hand, more fun to follow soon!
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: Who Said Squirrels Can't Fly?

Post by Bill K »

Just when I thought I might get another day of decent, sunny weather and some squirrel shooting, this comes in today.. Oh well in time. Glad some of you are able to get a good start. Bill K :) ( 0530 this morning at my place )
102_5970.JPG
102_5970.JPG (1.15 MiB) Viewed 4808 times
102_5971.JPG
102_5971.JPG (1 MiB) Viewed 4808 times
jimreed1948
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by jimreed1948 »

Hey Rick, my buddy and I drove up there from Houston and we shot on Monday the 8th and Tuesday the 9th with Tim Titus and his group. We got rats both days but Tuesday afternoon was by far the best when the sun came out. We had some rain and sleet and lots of wind. You really didn't want to stand up very long on the trailer due to the wind. Sitting down at the bench was okay, but still windy.
Thanks again for helping me setting up my 20VT for reloading. You made it much easier for me.
DL
randyman
.204 Ruger Guns: .204 on AR platform, .20 Vartarg built from Rem. 700 SA

Post by randyman »

Great photos! I'm hoping to get up to Lassen Co. here in N.Cal. later this week to see if it's dry enough to get out into some fields. Anxious to see how all this neck turning, bullet weighing and sorting pays off. Randy.
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

jimreed1948 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:56 am Hey Rick, my buddy and I drove up there from Houston and we shot on Monday the 8th and Tuesday the 9th with Tim Titus and his group. We got rats both days but Tuesday afternoon was by far the best when the sun came out. We had some rain and sleet and lots of wind. You really didn't want to stand up very long on the trailer due to the wind. Sitting down at the bench was okay, but still windy.
Thanks again for helping me setting up my 20VT for reloading. You made it much easier for me.
Jim, glad the trip worked out and you got some decent rat shooting. Tim never disappoints, and "you're welcome" in regard to that 20VT. :D

We missed you guys by two days, but the wind did finally die down, the sun came out and we got some fairly windless shooting. Nice to see my wind flag hanging down instead of blazing at a horizontal angle. Our rancher also set up his flatbed equipment trailer for our benches; sure makes it nice!

Now it's time for some local rock chucks. No wonder this is our favorite time of the year. :wink:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Varmint Shooter
.204 Ruger Guns: 204 Ruger Rem XR-100,20VT, 20SCC,20TAC. Cortez, CO

Post by Varmint Shooter »

My late afternoon venture yesterday.
Attachments
DSCN0554.JPG
DSCN0554.JPG (291.39 KiB) Viewed 4721 times
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Good looking Rock Chucks.. Bill K :)
randyman
.204 Ruger Guns: .204 on AR platform, .20 Vartarg built from Rem. 700 SA

Post by randyman »

You guys are making me jealous! Hope to get out next week and join in on the fun. Randy.
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Nice chucks there Varmint Shooter! How about some info? Rifle, caliber, range......inquiring minds want to know. :wink:

Chucks are on my upcoming menu also. No wonder this is our favorite time of the year! :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Yes fill in the empty spots, there Varmint Shooter. Let's see Colorado Buck, opps I meant Chuck.. :D :D :D Bill K :)
Varmint Shooter
.204 Ruger Guns: 204 Ruger Rem XR-100,20VT, 20SCC,20TAC. Cortez, CO

Post by Varmint Shooter »

For your inquiring minds. Rifle is a 20 Tactical, 25 inch, heavy varmint McGowen barrel, on a Remington 700 action, Jewell trigger.
The largest chuck was a 265 yard shot and smaller one around 140 yards, using 32 grain Noster Varmegeddons.
Sidewinderwa
.204 Ruger Guns: Savages

Post by Sidewinderwa »

So glad to see you guys having fun. The sage rats were out before the snow storm hit my area in Washington but they are not out well now. We had a hard cold spell with lots of snow that may have affected the numbers now.
Please, no Sidewinder today!