Coyotes

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
broper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 sps

Coyotes

Post by broper »

Is anybody hunting coyotes. Just wondering how it's going. Kind of slow over here in Idaho. Don't know what's going on, they're just not responding to calls.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: Coyotes

Post by Bill K »

Must be a slack or something between the upcoming mating season, as it is slower around here, for me also.
I have had three respond to a point, over the last couple of weeks to the call, but will not come in closer than around 350-400 yrds and keep moving, just enough so you can not get a solid hold/sight on them.
Maybe again in Dec or Jan they will fire up more. I am in N.E. Ca Bill K :)
broper

Post by broper »

Yeah, I don't know what it is but they just don't seem to be responding. Haven't had any come in to our calls this season. We had a pretty dry fall and November temps above normal, don't know if that has anything to do with it or not. I hope it gets better.
TrapperDan
.204 Ruger Guns: remington 700 204,cz 527 american 204

Post by TrapperDan »

Same with me. I spent 3 days calling in norther Nevada and did not call a coyote. There was not even any sigh of coyotes in the area that usually have lots of coyotes. And believe me, I leave lots for seed ;)
Wolves . ISIS of the animal world
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Might be the same with both of you and your areas. Have you noticed a lesser amount or lack of Jack rabbits, this year ? Could be one of the slack times for them, and so the coyotes have also moved to other locations also.
A couple of my pivot areas have some winter wheat or other growth coming up, and a few coyotes are working those areas, so I may just set up my bench and see if one comes into view and be able to sit and range one like I do the squeeks or rock chucks and pick one or two off that way. Early morning or late afternoon till sundown. Bill K
broper

Post by broper »

There hasn't been many jack rabbits in this area of Idaho for several years. We seen one once in awhile. Also the badgers seem to have disappeared. There are a few out there because once in awhile we see fresh diggings. But haven't actually seen a badger in over a year. Don't know if it's for the same reason that coyotes are scarce.
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

I still see a badger, here and there. They seem to stick around the fields/pivots even when the squeeks are underground for the off season. I guess they dig down and can still find some or something often enough to feed on.

( ranchers and alfalfa growers in this area, want them taken out, as their holes sure can wreck equipment when they drive or hit those borrow holes.)
TrapperDan
.204 Ruger Guns: remington 700 204,cz 527 american 204

Post by TrapperDan »

Your right Bill. Driving at night, I use to see lots of rabbits, mice, kangaroo rats and lots of other prey creatures. Now I see almost nothing run across the road at night. There is nothing out there for them to eat.
Wolves . ISIS of the animal world
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

I have not taken a night ride out into the sage/desert areas for quit a while. Guess I should on eve/night and see if anything is moving then.
broper

Post by broper »

Don't see hardly anything on the roads and hiways anymore. Years ago I was driving north at night just north of Tonopah, Nev. and A bobcat chasing a coyote ran across in front of me. That's the only time I've seen that !
GTOHunter
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by GTOHunter »

If Your using an Electronic Caller I would change it up on the sounds or try some new sounds that are out...if Your using mouth calls start out softly and work the volume up after several minutes.If theres a lot of Hunters out there Calling for Predators they could be over called and are use to hearing the same old thing.I have used a simple Feather Distractor to catch a Coyote,Fox or Bobcats attention....I finally lost my foldable Feather Distractor and have been able to find them any more?
You can make a simple one by using a long wooden dowel rod about the size of a pencil....tack a string to the top about 10 inches long and tie a medium size feather to the other end and let it blow in the wind.It helps to also use a brass fishing lead swivel under the tack with a little space so the swivel moves with the wind direction and doesn't tangle up or wrap itself up.
broper

Post by broper »

We use both electronic and mouth calls, sometimes at the same time. And we always try to use something that sounds different than the usual rabbit distress. It just seems that there isn't as many coyotes this year or they're just not coming in. Even in the contests there is not as many being brought in.
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Same with me, use both electronic and mouth calls and do vary sounds, even work more than one at times. It is just a low cycle, I believe, that seems to have the lesser amount showing or being seen, even in driving around areas.
So in time it will pick back up and we will have more fun again. Bill K :)
broper

Post by broper »

The World Champion Coyote Calling Contest just happened in Elko, Nev. this past weekend. There wasn't near as many coyotes taken as in years past. A lot of teams reported seeinf lot's of sign, tracks and scat, but said they just weren't responding and coming in to calls.
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

We are just in a low cycle, for the most part this year. Maybe the coming year will pick up. Need a rebound in the rabbits and even voles to perk up the coyotes and have them showing back up. Plus a good hatch of pups in their own ranks.. It will come :D :D Bill K :)