Tick-Tock....it's almost time

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Tick-Tock....it's almost time

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Time for our favorite pastime that is.....shooting rats!

All my ammo is loaded from 22 K-Hornet to my 204's with everything in between too. The little buggers are still in their burrows, but with the warm winter we're having, it won't be long till they poke their rodent heads up for a look about......I'll be there, rifle in hand. :mrgreen:

Remember scenes like this from past years? This is the kind of stuff that gets us all worked up in anticipation of the coming spring:

A shot from last year in the field. Dan and Gary having their way with Skippy with their 204's.....there will be a repeat of this picture very soon!

There's nothing quite like a crisp early morning with dew still on the grass, an accurate rifle on the bench with plenty of ammo, a target-rich environment, and good friends nearby. Already got the shoot dates set, nuthin' left to do except to figure out what rifles to take; seems like I always take too many. Good things to ponder, right? :wink:

Watching the calendar....tick-tock....... :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

dan97526
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper M21, Cooper 38 20VT, CZ 17H

Re: Tick-Tock....it's almost time

Post by dan97526 »

Sure hope to get out this year. Family concerns have kept me from getting out since 2017. Thanks for the motivation, Rick.
jimreed1948
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by jimreed1948 »

The fellow in the photo below looks like he on a Caldwell BR Pivot Table. Is he? If he is, how well do these particular tables hold up. I've been looking for some time for one of your old tables, but they are not to be found. What table is the other shooter using?

broper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 sps

Post by broper »

The ground squirrels are out over here in so. west Idaho. We saw about a half a dozen when we were out last week. My buddy got his first of the year with his Ruger AR .223. We've had quite a bit of rain and a little snow and the roads are a mess. Also heard of one guy that got his first rock chuck this year. Hoping for dryer, warmer weather so I can get out and do some serious varminting.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

I also saw three rock chucks out sunning yesterday, but too close to town and populated area, in this spot. And it is a little early yet, in my neck of the woods. But soon, I hope :D if roads in the area I shoot clear of mud and snow. Bill K :)
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

jimreed1948 wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:31 pm The fellow in the photo below looks like he on a Caldwell BR Pivot Table. Is he? If he is, how well do these particular tables hold up. I've been looking for some time for one of your old tables, but they are not to be found. What table is the other shooter using?

Jim, both Dan and Gary are shooting from original BR Pivots, not the Caldwell iteration. One bench shown is a BR Pivot Lite, the other is a standard model. The Lite unit has 'girder style' machined legs, the standard model has rectangular steel tubing legs.

I'm told that trying to find my original benches now is like looking for chicken lips...... :?

The Caldwell BRP differs from the originals only in that it is constructed entirely of steel, no aluminum for weight-saving, so the Caldwell BRP is a heavier assembly than the originals, and no bag sets are offered, otherwise they perform perfectly in the field as did the originals.

Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

SecretCode
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 vlp .204

Post by SecretCode »

Your not kiddin' Rick. Cant wait to get rid of this snow. I'm really starting to get some spring fever. We had low 30's a couple of days ago. I was out grilling in a t-shrit for Pete's sake.

It also doesn't help that my prairie dog partner is from the middle of ND and doesn't have near the amount of snow (or really any for that matter) that we have over here in the Red River Valley. He was out last week shooting the grins right off their faces! LITTERALY!
Attachments
49141.jpeg
49141.jpeg (492.21 KiB) Viewed 14202 times
Varmint Shooter
.204 Ruger Guns: 204 Ruger Rem XR-100,20VT, 20SCC,20TAC. Cortez, CO

Post by Varmint Shooter »

Short outing yesterday afternoon with my 17 Tac. First p-dogs of the year. First blood
for the 17 Tac also.
Attachments
IMG_20181109_115635.jpg
IMG_20181109_115635.jpg (160.15 KiB) Viewed 14055 times
IMG_20181109_115254.jpg
IMG_20181109_115254.jpg (156.75 KiB) Viewed 14055 times
SecretCode
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 vlp .204

Post by SecretCode »

Pretty Jealous that's for sure. I'd be willing to bet your liking the 17 tac Varmint Shooter. What kinda pills are your prescribing for your dogs?
Varmint Shooter
.204 Ruger Guns: 204 Ruger Rem XR-100,20VT, 20SCC,20TAC. Cortez, CO

Post by Varmint Shooter »

SecretCode: Prescribed medicine for the treatment of p-dogs, applied by the 17 Tac, is as fallows,
25 gr Hornady V-Max
24.2 grs. Varget
4100 fps
Gube
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage VLP and BTVSS. Tikka 3 stainless & grey laminate

Post by Gube »

I’m jealous. Haven’t been able to get out for quite some time now.
Savage Vaporizer
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Gube wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:14 pm I’m jealous. Haven’t been able to get out for quite some time now.
Gube, good to see you here again.

That snow should be gone soon, and you'll be at 'em again. How did the "meatsickle" do over the winter? :lol:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Gube
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage VLP and BTVSS. Tikka 3 stainless & grey laminate

Post by Gube »

I have been working overseas since 2013 so unfortunately no “meatsickle” for a while. Hoping to be back in Canada for July and August for some rat rodeos. I have 2 more years being overseas and then retirement to give those 204’s the exercise they deserve.
Savage Vaporizer