Went a badgering

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
broper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 sps

Went a badgering

Post by broper »

The badgers in this area are just starting to breed and get more active. So, my shooting/hunting buddy and I decide to go look for some. We left home about 5 a.m. got out in the fields a little after 6 a.m. It was really nice weather cool, no wind, good day for badgers to die. Gary wound up getting two of them with his Ruger tang safety 77, 6 m/m Rem. & 75 gr. hollow points. First was a female at about 100 yds. at 7:10 a.m. and the second was a male at 90 yds. about 10:00, quite a few miles apart. These two were his 4th and 5th for the year. You can see in the one picture how green it looks, We've had over 2 " of rain in June and it brought on a new crop of weeds. Makes it kind of hard to see anything very far out. The first one ran out of the weeds into the two track and stopped broadside. Big Mistake. The second one just happened to be in a spot where there were no weeds. Laying on it's mound with just it's head and neck showing. He popped it in the neck just below the jaw, DRT. What ever side of the truck they're spotted on, that's who takes the shot. For some reason they've all been on his side. Guess I'll have to start making him drive. We saw four jack rabbits but they were running through some pretty thick sage brush and we couldn't get a shot. We were out there about 7 hrs. and didn't see one ground squirrel. We've had some pretty warm (hot) days so I guess they're down for the season. On the way back we both had some new loads we wanted to try out. I had taken some expired cans of soup and dog food so we set them out at 100 yds. and started shooting. I was shooting 40 gr. V-Maxes in my Ruger American and Gary was shooting 55 gr. Varmageddons in his 6 m/m. As you can see they both did some pretty impressive exploding. We shot 6 cans
P1070318.JPG
P1070318.JPG (405.96 KiB) Viewed 8034 times
P1070320.JPG
P1070320.JPG (424.75 KiB) Viewed 8034 times
P1070321.JPG
P1070321.JPG (231.42 KiB) Viewed 8034 times
but couldn't find one. i guess it vaporized, We found bits of metal 25 yds. away from where the cans were set up.