Central idaho Squirrels

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
broper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 sps

Central idaho Squirrels

Post by broper »

We went up in the higher country yesterday to shoot Columbian ground squirrels. Were just above 6800' elevation. We didn't see as many as we hoped but enough to have some fun. There was a lot of traffic up and down the roads and just about every little wide spot big enough had a camper two in it. That might have had something to do why we weren't seeing as many. We had to pick and choose where we shot to be safe. We won't make that mistake again. My buddy was shooting his 22/250 and 40 gr. V-max with really spectacular results. I was shooting my .204 with Speer 39 gr. TNT h.p. It just mistified them. Here's a picture of one that Gary shot. Normally there whole under side is orange colored but he pretty much blew the orange off of this one. They were all pretty good at preforming aerobatics. We also saw a red fox/cross fox color phase and four deer including a white tail doe. Beautiful day, sunny no wind, about 78 degrees.
P1070324.JPG
P1070324.JPG (91.33 KiB) Viewed 847 times
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: Central idaho Squirrels

Post by Bill K »

Looking good. Even if not as many, the area and scenery looks inviting. Just get rid of some the other's camping in the area. Thanks for sharing. Bill K :)
broper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 sps

Re: Central idaho Squirrels

Post by broper »

Yeah, neither one of us gave a thought to it being the week end of July fourth until ewe got there and ran into the hoards. On the way home the Payette River was loaded with rafters and there was a steady stream of vehicles headed north.