back to Surprise Valley

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
broper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 sps

Re: back to Surprise Valley

Post by broper »

It's really been hot here and hotter days coming, Triple digits all next week, about 20 degrees above normal for this time of year. All the squirrels in this area are down for good now. Probably the chuck's too. The Boise River is getting lower every day, by the end of summer it will probably be Boise Creek. The power company is talking possible rolling black outs. Thought I left the heat in Las Vegas when In retired! Oh, and they said on the news tonight that it's supposed to be 114 in Portland on Sunday. Wow!
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Sounds like a lot of areas, temps have been right at or above record levels. Been plenty hot here, but we did had a really good old gully washer of a rain storm day before yesterday, but we also had 16 or more fires start all around my area, from dry lighting in other areas, close. Closest too me is the one a Devil's Corral ( 4 miles away) and one on Fox Mt. just west of where you were camping at Eagle Lake a week or so back. But so far crews have been one them and keeping them contained or out. Everyone is just holding their breath this year, more so than last, with the dry/hot conditions.

Did see one small chuck up on a rock outcropping today, but I think it was a young one, and did not shoot, let it produce more next year, hopefully. :D
broper

Post by broper »

Not looking good anywhere in the west.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Varmints and the heat here in the PNW.... :shock:

I took a cruise the other day around home looking at the usual rock chuck dens as my "chuck barometer" to see if I'm going to grab a rifle one morning and go out and cruise the rock piles and junipers. No chucks out at all, and usually in the mornings I see at least six to ten out sunning themselves. Not now, all den entrances were void of any chuck activity, even the ground squirrels were thin, seeing only a few standing up by their holes.

With the temps forecasted to hit 108* Monday, and a full week of 100*+ temps after that, I doubt we'll see any more chucks this year, and the squirrels will likely take their 8 month nap early this summer.

We got hit with the dang Covid last year, and that blew that season, now it looks like we'll have a bunch of leftover ammo again this year. Maybe the upside to all this is that next year, we'll have a bumper crop of both chucks and squirrels. Here's hoping....... :chin:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

broper

Post by broper »

Sounds about like the same weather forecast for here. I think the varmint hunting is about done for the season. I sure hope it will be better next year. Hopefully we can get some coyote hunting in this fall/winter.