Rock Chucks in Nevada

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
bronad
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage M12 W/Lilja 26" barrel & topped W/Leupold 6x20 LRP

Rock Chucks in Nevada

Post by bronad »

I went after rock chucks yesterday in Nevada and found a likely looking spot overlooking the desert at about 6300 feet. After about a half hr of glassing got one at 186 yrds with a steep downhill shot, moved another 100 yrds and got two more in a matter of 10 minutes, one at 160yrds the other at less than 100yrds. Then more glassing, and spotted the outline with naked eye and upon putting my scope on it saw two side by side so I tried for the double, got one for sure the second was a maybe so I didn’t count him. After moving again and more glassing I drove down the grade to to the desert to another out cropping close to rd, but the one i spotted bolted as soon as I got out of truck. The rock outcropping in the distance is where i spooked the RC before i could shoot and is still at 5500feet.
IMG_1922.JPG
IMG_1922.JPG (885.29 KiB) Viewed 2176 times
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: Rock Chucks in Nevada

Post by Bill K »

Looks good and thanks for sharing the story and photo. :D
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

bronad, thanks for sharing the adventure. Nice chuck country for sure, and gives a good workout humping those hills too. Thanks for taking the time to post the photo too; always good to see where it's actually happening.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

SecretCode
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 vlp .204

Post by SecretCode »

Very nice Bronad. Looks like a great place for a hike with a rifle. Were you limited on time or did you decide to leave some for the next years crop/next guy. Either way great time I'm sure.
bronad
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage M12 W/Lilja 26" barrel & topped W/Leupold 6x20 LRP

Post by bronad »

Thanks SC and all it was good and tough ground too, I was only there for about 2 hours I was pushed for time. I can only speak to my experiences where I shoot and have shot RC's and that's glassing shoot, glass more, shoot, move repeat. The best shooting I've had was in Siskiyou County out near Montague on ranch land and it wasn't too much better than this trip i just usually stayed longer.