.221 Fireball vs Wiley Coyote

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
Tom Kat
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527, Ruger American Predator in Magpul Hunter stock

.221 Fireball vs Wiley Coyote

Post by Tom Kat »

:D 😁I was able to shoot my first coyote ever with the Fireball today. Very small chest entrance wound, no exit. He died instantly. Shot was about 75 yards, using 40 gr NBT. I was pretty happy about it-
Last edited by Tom Kat on Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones."

John Maynard Keynes
Stugots
.204 Ruger Guns: Built an AR15 with a 26" White Oak Armory

Re: .221 Fireball vs Wiley Coyote

Post by Stugots »

Very Nice!
Yes, I realize speling is a chalunge for sum of us...I am inkluded in that grup, so pleze fourgiv me. Ski-U-Mah!
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

I like a quick kill. This one was was quick. He kinda hunched up for a second, and tipped over dead.
"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones."

John Maynard Keynes
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Nice, the fireball is a fine cartridge. And we do like photos, so thank you for those also. :D
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Way to go there, TK! Both my 221FB's really like the Nosler 40gr Tipped Varmageddon and the Ballistic Tips too.

Nowadays some poo-poo the little Furball, but it's one of my personal favorites. Miserly on powder, absence of muzzle blast, good out to 400 yards, see all your hits/misses in the scope. What's NOT to like? Besides, if you lay in a bunch of quality brass like Lapua or Nosler, you have the foundation to make 20 Vartarg brass too.

My Furballs consist of a Cooper M38 Phoenix and a CZ 527 American. The Cooper gets shot the most, but for a great walkabout rifle, that little CZ American is the rifle of choice, being almost as accurate as a HB bench gun. More accurate than it should be.

My Cooper 221FB with some rock chucks:

And as far as accuracy is concerned, this little caliber is no slouch there, either:

I also bench shoot my Cooper Furball for ground squirrels with wanton abandon. These rifles are just plain fun!
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

I really like mine. I plan on taking it to a dog town, I have 100 plus loaded and ready to go. You mentioned light recoil. I saw that dog get hit and tip over through the scope, it was really cool. That little 40 gr bullet was cooking at 75 yards. I am using 8208xbr (cant recall the charge weight right now) I am guessing maybe 3400ish fps? I will take it on any hunts I feel will stay under 200 yards, which is most of them around here. Thats a great lookiing rig you got there, the proofs in the pudding....

John Maynard Keynes