Made it to Wyoming

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
bronad
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage M12 W/Lilja 26" barrel & topped W/Leupold 6x20 LRP

Made it to Wyoming

Post by bronad »

Haven't been on the site in a while, but we are semi settled here and I've managed to find at least one good PD town, and as you'd expect PD town locations are closely guarded info. Shooting Sage Rats was good training for Prairie Dogs as they are bigger, the first couple i put in the cross hairs seemed so big i double checked the range. I'm still considering coming back to Ca for the Squirrel Roundup and opening at Eagle Lake. Wyoming is so different from Ca in so many ways.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: Made it to Wyoming

Post by Bill K »

Sounds very intersting. From what my old shooting partner, who moved to Colo, tells me they are larger than our small ground squeeks, out here.
I got a kick out of your comment, you had to double check the range. I guess it would look different, even after ranging them, with the larger size, after what we are used to seeing in the crosshairs.
What part of Wy are you looking around at ? :)
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

bronad: First off, congratulations on your move, getting away from Libtard-ville and to a pro 2A state with shared values. And having lots of PD's to shoot is not a bad thing either.

Bill: The first time I shot PD's after a lifetime here shooting GS's, the dog looked as large as a house cat in the scope! Like bronad, I also had to recheck my range, as the critter looked (and was) so huge in comparison. Hitting a PD at over 400 yards is MUCH easier that hitting one of our squirrels at the same range. After a couple days shooting PD's, my hit ratio was amazing, as being used to a target about 2/3 smaller, it was a cinch hitting those prairie poodles day after day.

But alas, after many summer trips to SD, WY and MT, fuel prices now make it unreasonable for the amount of shooting possible. I now prefer to stay here for rats, as there are more of them, they're much more stupid and they all don't go down at the first couple of shots....quite the opposite, as they just don't seem to care about "Fred" getting blown to bits right next to him, he just keeps munching that alfalfa without a care in the world.

And due their 1/3 smaller size, ground squirrels are much more capable of extreme lift when hit properly with a "suitable" caliber rifle.....

Long range rodent shooting.....about the most fun you can have with a rifle! :wink:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Bill K

Post by Bill K »

You are spot on with those comments Rick. Especially with the cost of fuel, these days, just to darn much money invested.
By the way our gasoline dropped $ .04 cents, from 6.20 to 6.16 just yesterday.
Yet a party coming through Chester, Ca just 36 miles west of me, said they had dropped their fuel ( reg gas) $ .71 cents. Bunch of gouging businesses all around my area, for sure. :twisted:
bronad
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage M12 W/Lilja 26" barrel & topped W/Leupold 6x20 LRP

Post by bronad »

In RIverton Wy we were down to $4.98 but it's creeped up to $5.23 for Diesel. It is very nice to be in a conservative state, and this time of year most conversations are about hunting, very friendly folks here too.
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

I believe diesel here is pushing 7.00 . Sounds like a nice area then, you will enjoy it, I am sure. :) Remember somewhere along the line, post some photos, we love photos of areas, game and critters taken down. :D :D
Last edited by Bill K on Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom Kat
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527, Ruger American Predator in Magpul Hunter stock

Post by Tom Kat »

Yikes! You are making my $3.70 a gallon for corn juice seem cheap
"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones."

John Maynard Keynes