Nice morning in the lava rocks

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Nice morning in the lava rocks

Post by Bill K »

Up early 0530 hr and off to some close rim rock/lave outcroppings. Found some rock chucks coming out to sun and also a few squirrels in the lower areas.
Took two chucks out of about seven seen, 210 and 260 yrds. Squirrels about the same. Only the two chucks taken, as I do not want to shoot this area out. Another day on some more, with work for me.

Sorry not photos, but this old man, just does not and will not climb those rocks like I did when younger. Especially when I am out alone, as I am, now days shooting and roaming the brush.

( by the way folks, for what ever reason I am having issues recieving PM's. Seems like I can send some out, but many are not coming in to me, as a few have mentions. So you might use my email for contact. kbill1@frontiernet.net )
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Nice morning in the lava rocks

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Well Bill, glad to hear you were able to get out and burn some powder. And I hear ya on not wanting to climb about in the jagged lava rock too! One spill up on that stuff is a almost guaranteed trip to the ER. NOT on my list of desirable activities, especially for anyone over the age of 60.

Now that it's mid-August, the daytime temps are just too brutal for both critters and us here now. When it's in the high 90's to low 100's on the high desert, it's time for shade or indoors with the A/C doing its job. All our squirrels and even the chucks are down now because of the heat. We managed a ten-day trip earlier this year for squirrels prior to green-up and had beaucoup fun. Not so much for Skippy and his pals though, as in eight actual shooting days, there was a substantial amount of good shooting.

A few random pics from that outing in hopes of stirring up some forum activity. I KNOW others have been out, so......

And after some years of shooting off a picnic table and folding chair ( :eek: ), our buddy Hemiallen and his infectious grin on his new BR Pivot Lite, the first outing with his new bench and shooting the Holland-built Black Death 223AI, purchased from yours truly. When it comes to either PD's or ground squirrels, that rifle really earned her name. She's a real rat-thumper.

Any pic of an outing is better than no pics at all, even if it's only pics of that lava outcropping and your rifle....it's all good. :wink:
(And thanks Bill for the ProEars....I promise to put them to good use!)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Great Rick. Hope you do like and enjoy them. Will post some photos, next trip and even add a couple, now, from past trips.
We do need to keep this forum up and running, so hopefully others will chime/add on also. :D
Howa 20 SCC and CZ 527 17 Fire ball.jpg
Howa 20 SCC and CZ 527 17 Fire ball.jpg (6.07 KiB) Viewed 12889 times
IMG_20180425_100454.jpg
IMG_20180425_100454.jpg (3.57 MiB) Viewed 12889 times
Rock chuck Contender in 17 Hornet.jpg
Rock chuck Contender in 17 Hornet.jpg (7.4 KiB) Viewed 12889 times
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Just a couple more, to add some spice to the forum.. When my shooting partner, VarmintShooter, was still here and we went out, he would on occasion hike the rocks to retrieve a chuck for photo. He was way younger than I and did it well. But he up and moved out of Ca on me. Smart man.
102_5295.JPG
102_5295.JPG (1.18 MiB) Viewed 12884 times
102_5294.JPG
102_5294.JPG (1.19 MiB) Viewed 12884 times
102_5293.JPG
102_5293.JPG (1.08 MiB) Viewed 12884 times
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

I should mention that we even pushing it some times, even with snow on the ground and cold temp. but sun was out, open mounds visible and the little squeeks were coming out to sun. Some thought is a little touched, but we had some good shooting, for a couple hours, with upwards of 50-100 each.
600 pix.jpg
600 pix.jpg (89.04 KiB) Viewed 12882 times
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

Thanks for sharing, it's always good to read the stories and see the pictures.