Snakes in Montana

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Snakes in Montana

Post by Hotshot »

During a recent prairie dog shoot in central Montana I came across two rattlers on the same dog town but different days and locations.

The one in the hole was only 7 steps from where we set up and shot for several hours. I shot him once with a 17HMR and went back to the truck for my camera. When I shot him twice more with the barrel only inches from the hole he was blown too far down in for another picture. I passed on reaching in to pull him out.

I saw the one on the prairie as I was walking back from taking some pix to show you guys. He had his head up looking right at me, so I backed up and went around to get this picture. I went back to the truck and got my 17HMR (well, I didn't have my 300 Weatherby on this trip) and that sure tore him up. This one was longer than the rifle and had 7 rattles. When I walked back again to get a kill picture, I had left the camera on and the batteries were dead.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Snakes in Montana

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Hotshot: This is where keeping a sharp eye out and paying attention to one's surroundings really pays off. Getting bit by one of these boys way out on the prairie, and far from any ER is NOT on the "To Do" list!

This also illustrates why it's a good idea to pack a belt gun for these encounters, even a .38 loaded with snake shot it a good alternative. Many times I pack my little stainless S&W Model 60 with 3" barrel with three shot loads first, and two 152gr cast slugs behind them. Inside of 15', it really tears up Mr. Slinky.

Good one, thanks for posting.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

Awesome.

For those that have not travelled in MT before, there are snakes with fangs EVERYWHERE in Montana. From the buffalo jumps north of Cut Bank (next to Glacier Park) to the near desert of Miles City/etc....or to Butte...there are rattlesnakes everywhere!!!!
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

Cool post Hotshot!! Nice pics too!! :wink:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen