Fun thursday and friday

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
Lenard
.204 Ruger Guns: 700 Remington

Fun thursday and friday

Post by Lenard »

I made it to S. Central Oregon on wednesday. I had commitments each morning and did not get to start hunting chucks until noon. Forgot my camera, so the story will have to do. I used a 204 chambered in a 700 and a Sako 243. Part of our hunting is in a bowl of 100 acres or so. As in the past years, I found that with the winds, will lift the 20 and 22 caliber bullets over the targets at 200 and further. But, the 243 with 87 gr. Hornady HP bullets, they are effected very little.

There was mention here last week about whether the 204 was adequate on chucks. I can attest it is more than deadly. Had a couple sitting on rocks, that elevated about 8' at the shot, the front and rear being held together by the hide on one side. We shot very few of this years pups, as they are still tiny where we were. Have killed a couple hundred chucks with the 204 and am totally satisfied with the results.

Anyway, in two afternoons, I shot over 40 chucks with almost all of them being 1 year or older. I was sure wanting to get out early, as that is when I find the best shooting. I have been shooting this ranch since the early 90's and feel over joyed to have the privilege to hunt it. One secret I will share, is that we sit and glass for an hour or so in each spot. Sooner or later, they will show themselves and we can take the shot.

I really like the 243 with its 87 gr. bullet at 3350. It really does a marvelous job in windy conditions, although I only shoot under 400 yards.
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Re: Fun thursday and friday

Post by Captqc »

Lenard, sounds like you had a good time, too bad the chucks can't say the same! :lol: Gary
tt35
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Predator, Cooper M21, WOA AR, DPMS AR, custom AR

Re: Fun thursday and friday

Post by tt35 »

Sounds like an awesome time, Lenard! Love my 'chuck hunting! I use a .204 and a .243AI. Both are fantastic in their given ranges.
Tim Titus
No Off Season
www.no-off-season.com
"No crowds, no limits, no seasons...no bad days."

Sure God's a hunter, he clothed Adam and Eve with skins and told Peter to "kill and eat", didn't He?