12/27/11 Coyote

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
Melvin Eades
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage M12 VLP, CZ 527 American, CZ 527 Varmint

12/27/11 Coyote

Post by Melvin Eades »

Back on the morning of 12/26, I went out to the creek bottom before daylight to see if anything might be visiting the deer carcasses. It was a clear, frosty morning around 27* and I sat in the edge of the field down by the creek where I could see about 800 yards to the north up the bottom and about 400+ yards to the south. Across from me and to my left was a hay field along the other side of the bottom and straight across from me at 275 yards was the deer or I should say what was left of them.
Shortly after it started getting light, I say a coyote crossing the end of the field about 400 yards to the north of me. I gave a few howls to get its attention which it did, but it took a look and proceeded on. I then started with rabbit distress but it wasn’t interested. I kept watching that direction but never did see it again.

About 20-30 minutes later, two coyotes showed up in the hay field mousing. It was kind of comical watching them bounce around trying to catch the mice. I re-positioned and threw a few rabbit distress at them and all they would do was look my way for a bit and then go back to mousing. They were about 350 yards out and I wanted to get them a little closer for a shot. They worked their way over the top of the hill and disappeared. I sat there having a conversation with myself about not taking the shot and in about 15 minutes they worked their way back onto the side of the hill. I moved around to take the long shot and in the process, I accidentally blew my breathe on the scope lens and fogged it over. I tried clearing it off and before I did, they disappeared into a patch of brush never to be seen again that day.

The next morning, I got up at 4 am and checked the forecast and radar to see we had just had some snow. I looked out the door and sure enough, we had gotten just enough snow to make the ground white. I had my coffee and went back out to the creek bottom only this time I was going to sit on the opposite hill across the bottom from the deer carcasses. I was going to sit until it got light enough to see and then I was going to do some exploring. Nothing showed up so I made my way down to the field road way and found two fresh sets of coyote tracks in the snow and heading the same way as I was.

I slowly made my way across the bottom and across the hay field to check out a small field in the next bottom over that bordered a CRP field and woods. I hadn’t been standing there next to the brush 5 minutes when I caught movement in the CRP. It was a coyote and he was heading toward the open field below me. I quickly sat down and got my rifle on my sticks and watched the coyote come into the field. It stopped a few feet in and looked around and just as it looked up my way, I turned a 39 gr. Sierra B.K loose from my CZ 527 American at 118 yards. The coyote took a couple spins and lay down dead. I didn’t have my scales with me but I think the male coyote weighed close to 40 lbs. It had a nice coat on it for all the warm weather we’ve up until now.

Here’s a view from where I was sitting when I shot the coyote.

Here's a closer look.

Here's a view from the coyote to where I was sitting.

I've spent a lot of time out hunting deer this fall and haven't seen many coyotes. I've talked to other guys and they haven't had much luck calling anything in this season either. We've had a lot of warm weather so far this season and maybe when it gets colder they will call better.
Enjoy it while you have it, because things will change.

“Never trust the veracity of anything you read on the internet. That’s how World War I started.” — Abraham Lincoln.
Song Dog
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 10, 12, & 16

Re: 12/27/11 Coyote

Post by Song Dog »

That's awesome! WTG
PREDATOR DYNAMICS (facebook)
Foxpro Western Dealer Rep.
God's Country Camouflage-Fieldstaff
"A man with an experience has volumes more than a man with a theory"
Dennis81082
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700

Post by Dennis81082 »

WTG Melvin. Looks like he's got some nice fur. Glad you got some weather finally. Unusual not to have snow by now isn't it?

We got lots of the white stuff before the holidays, now we have MUD. Can't get off the main roads. Hope it dries up or gets cold again, I can't get to many places like it is now. I haven't had the chance to use the 204 on a coyote yet. Going on a trip next weekend and will have it along. I use the same load you do, 39gr Sierra's using BLC-2.
Clint E
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by Clint E »

WTG melvin.
Kind of sad it is january and it has only been below 32 deg a couple of times this year.
RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Post by RAMOS »

Nice going Melvin! I do have to ask an important question. When are you going to offer a how-to class on write ups, picture taking, graphics and posting? As always, your presentation is top notch!
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Melvin: Another great outing to be sure; thanks for taking the time to do the writeup and post those great pics. Nice shootin' too.

What program are you using for your graphics? Ramos is right, great job, bud. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

GTOHunter
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by GTOHunter »

Congratulations on a nice Winter Coyote Melvin and as usuall a Cool pictorial of when and where ! :D :wink:

Its been really slow around here in Southeast Missouri,with all the warm weather the Predators just aren't moving like they should be...?We had 1 snow so far and it did that over night and by 10:00-11:00 the next morning it pretty well all had melted away. :wall: :cry:

I did better in the month of October than I have for the past 2 months of serious Predator Hunting! :duh: :roll:
Melvin Eades
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage M12 VLP, CZ 527 American, CZ 527 Varmint

Post by Melvin Eades »

RAMOS,

Me offer classes! You've got to be kidding! I type using two fingers and a toe or two. :D

Rick,
I use the features in Photo Bucket when I down load the pictures. I use to have a program for editing but lost it when I got a new computer.

GTOHunter,
I haven't talked to anyone around here that has had much luck calling coyotes so far this season. They just don't seem to be interested with all of this warm weather we've been having. I think that when the ground freezes and they can't dig for mice, they will start coming to the calls.
I also think it's about time to start using female vocals since it's about time for the mating season to kick in.
Next weekend is our last firearms season for deer so after that I'll be able to hunt two locations that have been good producers in the past. The land owners want the coyotes shot but don't want me in there till after deer season is over.
Enjoy it while you have it, because things will change.

“Never trust the veracity of anything you read on the internet. That’s how World War I started.” — Abraham Lincoln.
RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Post by RAMOS »

Melvin, your posting skills are exceeded only by your humility! I too type with two fingers. I guess if I want to improve, I will have to remove one sock, never would have come up with that on own. Thank you, class is now in session!!!
varmint stalker
.204 Ruger Guns: savage model 11 204

Post by varmint stalker »

WTG melvin great job on them yotes keep up the good work & great stories :D
roooster_11
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger #1 .204

Post by roooster_11 »

Nice post and pics, good kill!
"If courage is a word that knows not fear, then I have never met a couragous man; a brave man is one that puts his fears aside, and does his job" Unknown