Broke in the new Ruger Hawkeye .204

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
UTcaller
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527

Broke in the new Ruger Hawkeye .204

Post by UTcaller »

Well finally got out and did some calling for a few days.Started off with the 45 grain Hornady Soft Points,but after two less than desired outcomes i went back to my ol' standby 35 grain bergers.And they definitely didn't let me down.I really love that Ruger Rifle....Good Hunting Chad

Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Re: Broke in the new Ruger Hawkeye .204

Post by Captqc »

Nice job, but how did you get those yotes to lay still while you took the picture? :duh:
Okay, just kidding! :lol: Gary
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

Nice pile of fur you put on the ground Chad. :wink:

Could you explain your findings on the 45gr'ers more thoroughly??
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

Now that looks like one of the most fun shoot/clean shoot/clean break in methods I've seen yet.
Nice job!

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

Awesome!

What are pelts going for now?
UTcaller

Post by UTcaller »

Glen,

It wasn't that they didn't kill the coyotes.Because I have killed around 10 so far with the 45 grain SP's.And who knows it could have just been a fluke but the first 2 coyotes I hit on the trip were with the 45's and they would run a little ways before piling up.Not far(15-30 yrds max)and the pelts were alittle more damaged than I like.I know the softpoints usually exit every time but they were bigger exits than I was hoping for.So I just decided to go back to the Bergers the rest of the trip(no pelt damage and mostly bang flops).I am not going to give up on the 45's yet though.We'll see what happens.

acloco,

They should go for 25-35 dollars Maybe a bit more for the big light colored ones.

All in all it was a fun hunt,we ended up killing 15 coyotes in 4 days of hunting not to bad I guess...

Good Hunting Chad
Rugerdogdog
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS Panther Arms LR-204

Post by Rugerdogdog »

That's a way dang impressive outing!!!
I have a bunch of questions for ya though.
Where'd ya get into so many? I'm Utahn too so I'm not asking for your hotspot, just wondering what area. A county would be close enough.
I think that's a FoxPro? FX3 or FX5?
What time of day?
Hows that Hawkeye on paper? They say that new trigger is alot better than the M77?
Sorry, you just really got my attention with this one...You could call me "FRUSTRATED UTcaller".
DPMS Panther Arms LR-204 24" Stainless Fluted Heavy Barrel

There is a place for all of Gods creatures...RIGHT NEXT TO THE POTATOES AND GRAVY.
UTcaller

Post by UTcaller »

Rugerdogdog,

I wish it were Utah.Then I wouldn't have had to burn so much gas to get them.lol It is actually Nevada. We had a good hunt that's for sure.We ended up shooting 15 coyotes in 4 days of calling.Which for the area we call is better than some years and not as good as others.I'd say about average..Yes, that is an FX3 been using it for a couple years now,definitely saves on the lungs from mouth calling all day.We use both about 50-50...Which ever seems to be working on any given day...The coyotes were called all times of the day,some came early in the morning some Midday and a few in the evening.As far as the Ruger,I really like it alot.With the 35 grain berger reloads I am shooting 1/2" groups,and with the factory Hornady 45 grain Softpoints alittle over a 1" group at 100 yrds.The trigger had very little creep right out of the box but was way to stiff for me(about 5 lbs),so I had a Gun Smith friend of mine work on it alittle now it's about 2-2 1/2 lbs and shoots great.

Don't be frustrated,calling is all about Location,Location,Location.Just get out and pound the ground you'll find the coyotes.

Good Hunting Chad
Singleshot

Post by Singleshot »

That is a nice brace of coyotes :!:, especially those light coloured ones. I think that they should bring more than 35 bucks at a fur auction.
Lee C.

Post by Lee C. »

Nice calling and shooting UTcaller
Rugerdogdog

Post by Rugerdogdog »

Thanks for the info UT. We are going to try the Deep Creeks this weekend. just thought maybe if you go to the Proverbial Middle of Nowhere we might find them. I'll letcha know.
Thanks again.

There is a place for all of Gods creatures...RIGHT NEXT TO THE POTATOES AND GRAVY.
UTcaller

Post by UTcaller »

Thanks guys for the kind words.

Rugerdogdog,

The Deep Creeks are a great place to find coyotes that's for sure.The further away from the crowds you go the better your success will be,at least from my experience that seems to be the case.Good Luck to ya,hope you get some,save a few for me though. ;)

Good Hunting Chad
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

Nice pile of Pups. That rifle of yours has a nice ring to it also :P . The weather here has been so mild, the fur would be worthless :( . We still have leaves on the trees :shock: .They should of been gone a month ago. Hopefully after deer season (starts this Saturday)the chill will be on :cold:
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)
Savage model 10 Predator, 3-9 Nikon Omega
07 LRPV, 35X45 Leupold Competition

Rugerdogdog

Post by Rugerdogdog »

My trip got switched to "MAYBE" next weekend. But rest assured, if I get into them I will be on here braggin it up!

22shooter

Post by 22shooter »

Excellent hunting trip. You are right, there are a few coyotes in Utah, but many. I still keep trying.