Barrel Question

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
CASEY
.204 Ruger Guns: Two Encores, one rifle and one pistol.

Barrel Question

Post by CASEY »

Hi Everyone. I'm new as a memeber but I've been lurking for sometime. I have two Encore .204's. I'm a little overboard about them. I am thinking of getting another .204 barrel for the 50 gr. Bergers, with a 1-9 or 1-10 twist. I would like any feedback from anyone with any experience with a slow twist barrel. My intent is to stretch my limits in range and push the .204 as far as I am able.

I have shot and reloaded for many years and I don't know what it is about this rifle, but it has a grip on me. It's almost as much fun as my grandkids.
WrzWaldo
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100 / Savage-Douglas-Richards

Re: Barrel Question

Post by WrzWaldo »

Welcome aboard!

Bergers web site tells me you want the 1:9 barrel for the 50 grainer. Also note that a 1:9 barrel is a faster twist than the current standard factory barrels of 1:12.
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Post by Hotshot »

Has anybody fired the 39 and 40 grain bullets in a fast twist barrel? I would expect slightly more pressure and great accuracy.
Bad Dad

Post by Bad Dad »

My AR has a 1 in 10 twist Krieger bull barrel I can shoot anything from 30gr Bergers to the 50gr Bergers and shoot 5 shots in the .3's. I don't know the quality of the Encore barrel's I would guess it's not quit as good as a hand lapped Krieger so you might want to go with a 1 in 9 to be on the safe side.
"Bad Dad" Given to me by my 8 year old son after watching a 60's movie were I had to explain “BAD” as being “Awesome, Sweet, Rad":cool: . Love that kid