204 Ruger in the AR platform

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
Squatting Wolf
.204 Ruger Guns: '07 Savage 12 LRPV

Re: 204 Ruger in the AR platform

Post by Squatting Wolf »

Hawkeye - who has the Les Baer's in stock?
It's more important where ya hit 'em, than what ya hit 'em with.
'07 Savage 12 LRPV .204 w/ Leupold VX-II 6-18 LRV reticle
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

My local shop has one in 308. (Buffalo gun center)...
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)
Savage model 10 Predator, 3-9 Nikon Omega
07 LRPV, 35X45 Leupold Competition

Target Tommy
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M-77 Target Grey,10/22,Ruger #1-22-250,Ruger #1 25-06

Post by Target Tommy »

Hawkeye,it brought back many memories seeing Buffalo Gun Center,spent some time there in the past. Great to see they are still in buisness.Bought my first pistol their in 1967. :D :D
NRA Member
Happy Target Shooter
Tommy O
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

Tommy
They're still in the same building. It more than tripled in size a while back. Lucky for me it's only a half mile out of the way on my drive home from work. I'll have to ask them if they have direct deposit so I dont have to stop at the bank every day :roll: :lol:
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)
Savage model 10 Predator, 3-9 Nikon Omega
07 LRPV, 35X45 Leupold Competition

spiderman
.204 Ruger Guns: custom Dtech , .204 AR-15

Post by spiderman »

I have a Dtech .204 that I got about a year ago. It is a great gun and shoots better than I can. I haven't taken much for wild life with it yet but have been trying to call in some coyotes. Here are some pics of it....SM

Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Post by Hotshot »

That 4 shot group is outstanding! were you trying to hit a bug on your target with that shot at 11:00 o'clock?
erslll
.204 Ruger Guns: AR-15

Post by erslll »

Here is a pic of my new .204 AR. I haven't shot it much yet but looks like it is going to be a decent shooter.

Specs: ER Shaw 24" heavy barrel, Sun Devil billet lower, RRA 2 stage trigger, Magpul PRS stock, Hogue grip, Armalite scope mount and Leupold 4.5x14

Target Tommy
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M-77 Target Grey,10/22,Ruger #1-22-250,Ruger #1 25-06

Post by Target Tommy »

erslll,I have two E R Shaw barrels, both produce excellent groups.I think with the correct load you will be very happy with that barrel. :D
NRA Member
Happy Target Shooter
Tommy O
erslll
.204 Ruger Guns: AR-15

Post by erslll »

I am not doing my own loads yet but it is something I would like to start doing. Honestly, I have not really been a paper puncher but I am getting more interested in it the more I read this forum. :)

What I do use my .204's for is coyotes. About 45 minutes after my original post, I took a little drive around the farm and christened this AR by dropping a nice coyote at about 175 yards. :mrgreen:
hagfan72
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by hagfan72 »

OK, all you .204 AR guys. I am going to get one built (Dtech) and was wondering what everyone's opinion on the compensator is. Is it really necessary on the .204?
Jet noise: The sound of freedom.

varminthuntersnorthwest.com
joghotrod

Post by joghotrod »

Both of mine have them, But they are probably not needed. There is one guy on the predator mastors forum that had one with and without and he recommended them. Do a search at http://www.predatormasters.com and see if you can fine his post. Good luck.

Jimmy
.204 Ruger M77 Mark II Weaver 6-24
.222 Rem. BDL Varmint Leupold VX III 6.5-20
.204 Dtech AR 24 in. 1/9 twist SS Fluted Shilen Barrel with Compensator, Leatherwood 8.5-25 uni-dial Also 1/12 twist Shilen. NRA Life Member
6BR Dtech Upper, Shilen 1/8 twist.
richnmib

Post by richnmib »

erslll wrote:Here is a pic of my new .204 AR. I haven't shot it much yet but looks like it is going to be a decent shooter.

Specs: ER Shaw 24" heavy barrel, Sun Devil billet lower, RRA 2 stage trigger, Magpul PRS stock, Hogue grip, Armalite scope mount and Leupold 4.5x14

How do you like that Magpul stock?
If this is heaven...How bad is heck??
OldTurtle
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage mod. 116 and Custom .204 AR

Post by OldTurtle »

hagfan72,

As to your question about the need for a compensator/muzzle brake, I have a standard 22" bull barrel on my .204 AR without the brake and I have a 20" bull barrel that DTech built for me on my .223 AR and don't see where one would benefit me on the .204.

I can see the benefit for the .223 compared to my others.

The ones Mike builds, IMHO, work well with a lot less noise than most others.. If you ever foresee selling it, it would be a great sales point.

One problem that you need to consider with any brake, is that they tend to collect cleaning solvents and debris unless you take those extra steps to clean it. It's not a serious problem, just another step.
AR
Factory/Factory
Bad Dad

Post by Bad Dad »

I did a lot of pdog shooting this last year with my AR it has a 24" bull barrel and I could see all my hits. I don't see any reason to have a brake on it. If you had an 18" light weight barrel then you might not be able to see your hits, but that is really not what I would want for pdogs anyway.
"Bad Dad" Given to me by my 8 year old son after watching a 60's movie were I had to explain “BAD” as being “Awesome, Sweet, Rad":cool: . Love that kid
Bad Dad

Post by Bad Dad »

Here is mine again, using a Krieger 10 twist 24” barrel and a Jewel trigger and it shoots .3” groups all day long if I do my part. The barrel was chambered by Compass Lake Engineering, most of the parts are DPMS. If your are going to build then parts don't really make a difference, but if you buy one already build that Rock River would be what I would do.

"Bad Dad" Given to me by my 8 year old son after watching a 60's movie were I had to explain “BAD” as being “Awesome, Sweet, Rad":cool: . Love that kid