Not a .204, but it's going to be great!

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
inKYfromSD
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 varmint .204, Cooper Model 21 20 VarTarg

Not a .204, but it's going to be great!

Post by inKYfromSD »

I bought this tonight, Cooper Model 21 20 VarTarg. It'll be here when I get back from a week in South Dakota. Can't wait to put glass on it, load up some test rounds, and hit the range. Thanks for all of your help and advice Rick!

chrisso
.204 Ruger Guns: tikka t3

Re: Not a .204, but it's going to be great!

Post by chrisso »

whats the difference between a 20 vartag and a 204?
Bodei
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa Mod 1500 24" BBL .204R; Cooper M21 20 VT; CZ 527 17HH

Post by Bodei »

Man, 20 Vartarg sure seems to be a hot seller. Glad I got mine! Only shot it one day, what a sweet little round! Basically it's like a .204 "short". But with almost the same velocity. I am loving my Cooper. Hope to get a report posted when I get some time after hunting season slows and I am done moving.
K = ½mv2
Joe O
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV,Ruger K1V,G2 Contender

Post by Joe O »

Sweet, You'll love it.
Sth Oz Dan
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Hawkeye

Post by Sth Oz Dan »

I keep trying to login to 204ruger.com but somehow always end up on 20VT.com :lol:
Sure sounds like a fun round to play with and I'd love one in my cabinet.
Looks like a sweet rig mate. Enjoy
inKYfromSD
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 varmint .204, Cooper Model 21 20 VarTarg

Post by inKYfromSD »

Chrisso: Here's a brief explanation of a few of the "twenties" : http://www.accurateshooter.com/cartridg ... 20caliber/

Sth Oz Dan: I checked, 20Vartarg.com is available! I'm sure we can all get along just fine here though. :)

I hope my .204 doesn't get jealous when I put the Cooper in the safe. Maybe I should separate them for a while...
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

You are going to just luv that little caliber. Enjoy and have lot's of fun. Bill K
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

CONGRATULATIONS! Prepare for a perpetual grin upon the rifle's arrival. :wink:

You're going to love the rifle AND the caliber. Let us know how she shoots once you get her home and glassed properly.

For those not familiar with the 20 VarTarg, here's a simple side-by-side visual comparison......85% of 204 Ruger performance with roughly 30% less powder; a real efficient little sweetie. :D

And the accuracy....did we mention the accuracy? Oh boy, what an amazing little caliber! :eek:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Keith in Ga

Post by Keith in Ga »

I was late "getting on board" for a 20 VT. Rick and several others tried to talk me into the VT, but I fought the urge. Finally, got my Cooper M21 in 20 VT, and it's rapidly becoming my favorite. In spite of the winds, and having two Cooper .204's, my longest shots in SD were with the 20 VT. It's a great cartridge!
ImageImage
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Any and all credit goes to my friend Todd Kindler, the real "Father of the 20 VarTarg". He pestered me for five years before I finally got on board, then when I did, I got the "told you so". He was/is right, it's an amazing little number. Having multiple 204's, I resisted too, but once I tried the little wonder, I've been hooked ever since. I still love my 204's, but it's great to have a companion .20 caliber for those times when you don't need 25-30grs of powder to do the job, when a 32 grainer at 3,700+ fps will do it with only 18~ grains.

Todd did all the initial work designing reamers for a host of .20 cal cartridges, the VT being one of them, and it is both his and my hopes that a domestic maker of a green color just add it to their "Fireball" line, even if they didn't call it what it is....the 20VT.

I'll just say this....I know of no person who has tried the 20VT and NOT liked it.....nobody. Amazing that a cartridge this good technically remains "semi-custom" or in the wildcat catagory. I'm glad I have one. inKYfmSD will be glad he has one too. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Sidewinderwa
.204 Ruger Guns: Savages

Post by Sidewinderwa »

The 20VT, what a fantastic cartridge for sure! It has even less recoil than the 204 and close to the same performance. I love my 204s but I would not be without a 20VT. It is shoving the 204 around for my favorite round. I like shooting prairie dogs at the 300 to 400 yard range to ensure they stay up and running around more. The 20VT is perfect for this. The 204 gives more air time though. You will love your VarTarg! :jive: :jive: :stickman: :stickman:
Please, no Sidewinder today!