Lightweight rifle

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
_RJ_
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington

Lightweight rifle

Post by _RJ_ »

I'm tired of lugging my 14.3 lbs rifle all over the country side. So I thought I'd see what you guys know about lightweight .204's. I have experience with the American line from Ruger. I bought my wife a 308 predator and it shoots surprisingly well, 3/4 moa with me. My dad has a 30-06 American and it shoots about the same.

I haven't physically been able to look at the Savage 25 walking varminter, but have looked online. Other than being crazy ugly, I hear good things about them. The CZ 527 American seems like another good option. I'm just not sure if want to beat up a nice rifle.

I'm always transfering my current .204 from one truck to the next, one tractor to the next and it still looks pretty good. But I had it cerakoted, and it has a manners stock on it too. So it's pretty tough. I'm looking for something light, accurate and durable (aren't we all). Thanks in advance for your time and knowledge.

-RJ-
TEXAS222
.204 Ruger Guns: custom build AR 15-Rem 700 .204 VARMINT- .204 Kimber Pro Var

Re: Lightweight rifle

Post by TEXAS222 »

RJ, you might want to check out some of the Howa 204's on gunbroker.com. They have some as cheap as 359.00. I don't have a 204 Howa but a friend of mine does & he gets 1/2 moa with hand loads. Just a thought for your question.
Jim D
_RJ_

Post by _RJ_ »

TEJAS JD wrote:RJ, you might want to check out some the of the Howa 204's on gunbroker.com. They have some as cheap as 359.00. I don't have a 204 Howa but a friend of mine does & he gets 1/2 moa with hand loads. Just a thought for your question.
Jim D
Your suggestion lead me to find the Howa Mini Action. Which I have never heard of before. I have a Howa in 22-250 but I bet you'd never guess...Yup it's a heavy bench gun :) The lightweight Mini Action model weighs in at 5.75lbs but has a 20" barrel. I'm thinking that's a bit short for the .204. Their Standard Mini Action in .204 still only weighs 6lbs with a 22" barrel. I'll have to call around and see if any store has them in stock. Thanks.
RowdyYates
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington LVSF, Cooper M21V, C-Z 527 Kevlar V

Post by RowdyYates »

....or the TC Venture Predator. Reputed to have a faster 10-twist barrel that'll stabilize the 40 grain bullets better. Price is good, also.
Me? I'd pop for the C-Z American, though. ;)
papa1htp

Post by papa1htp »

I got a T/C Venture because my Sav. 25 shot patterns not groups w/40's. $399.-75. @ Grice's in PA. Shoots great. Just Zeroed @ 200 and am 5 for 5 to date @ 185 to 210 yds.
Papa1
_RJ_

Post by _RJ_ »

RowdyYates wrote:....or the TC Venture Predator. Reputed to have a faster 10-twist barrel that'll stabilize the 40 grain bullets better. Price is good, also.
Me? I'd pop for the C-Z American, though. ;)
Thanks for the heads up on the T/C. I have yet to find a 1-12 that will shoot 40's. My Remington will at 100 but anything past 150 with the 40's is a no go.
savgebolt
.204 Ruger Guns: T/C Venture , model 12 savage

Post by savgebolt »

i have the tc venture , and i like it , its trigger leaves something to be desired , i have link to modify the trigger,,,, it shoots 40 gr rounds great
_RJ_

Post by _RJ_ »

Since I prefer to buy something that I can touch and inspect before purchasing and no one has any other 204's in stock. I purchased the Ruger American Predator. Only shot it a little bit today. It easily shoots 3/4 moa with 32gr. V-max. Weather is going to turn bad for the week but I'll load up some bergers and let y'all know.
_RJ_

Post by _RJ_ »

I'm not much for shooting groups but not bad for a sub $400 rifle. 200 yards 32gr. V-Max factory loads. I tried some 35gr loads too. Got some promising starts.
BooBear
.204 Ruger Guns: "none".

Post by BooBear »

I have Tika T3 lite, very good gun, shoots very well and very lite rifle to carry in the field, would put this gun up against any heavy bl, also not much money for it.