Hornady Factory and Temperature

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
T-Bone
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint Kevlar in .204 Ruger

Hornady Factory and Temperature

Post by T-Bone »

How sensitive would Hornady 40 gr V-Max be to temperatures of say 104 degrees? I went shooting the other day in that temp and my patterns opened up. Just trying to figure out if I was bothered by the heat or the ammo was. ;)
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Re: Hornady Factory and Temperature

Post by futuretrades »

When shooting in temps that high, no matter if shooting factory ammo or reloads, we all need to be aware of that heat. One thing I always try to do when the temps start to rise, is to keep my ammo in an ice chest until ready to shoot. And I will only take as many rounds as I intend to shoot, out of the ice chest. If I am working up loads, I will only take 5 rounds out of the box, and I do try set them on my bench in some sort of shade. Keep in mind, excessive heat will cause a rise in pressure in your ammo. The rise in pressure, is basically the same as adding maybe 1/10 or 2/10 grains of powder, or in extreme cases, quite a bit more. Any reloader can tell you, the added powder (pressure) will affect the POI at your target As far as reloading, we have choices of powders that are not as sensitive to heat, but with factory ammo, we have no way of knowing what powders are used in factory ammo. I do have to believe that ammo suppliers do take all of the different conditions that their product is being used in, into account. After all we ARE dealing with controlled explosions inside the chamber.
Just my .02
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
T-Bone
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint Kevlar in .204 Ruger

Post by T-Bone »

Thanks. I tried searching Google on this but didn't find much.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

I have heard that goggle has or is going Anti-gun and is starting to drop firearm related material. Anyone heard anything for sure about this ? If so maybe they will not be a source for web searching. Bill K
flys low
.204 Ruger Guns: None

Post by flys low »

Yes google is anti gun and adjusts seach results. I rarely use them cause they are always in the news for privacy violations.