Best scope?

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
jrwoitalla
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint

Best scope?

Post by jrwoitalla »

Opinions please- what is the best varmint scope for about $1k? Best scope made period, money is no object.
The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason- Benjamin Franklin
Bodei
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa Mod 1500 24" BBL .204R; Cooper M21 20 VT; CZ 527 17HH

Re: Best scope?

Post by Bodei »

What kind of varmints will you be shooting?
K = ½mv2
sakofan
.204 Ruger Guns: remington varmit sf

Post by sakofan »

For that money I would buy a zeiss conquest 6.5-20x50 with target turrets.
Pmoper
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FV

Post by Pmoper »

your money...? Inertil....(know I spelled that one wrong....LOL)
jrwoitalla
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint

Post by jrwoitalla »

The varmints would be of the squirrel/pd variety. I just wanted to see what people think.
The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason- Benjamin Franklin
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

What type of scope power do you want? You can get better glass with less magnification than the other way around.

Jim
Bodei
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa Mod 1500 24" BBL .204R; Cooper M21 20 VT; CZ 527 17HH

Post by Bodei »

http://www.riflescopespy.com/

I think this site may help you.
K = ½mv2
Darkker
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger Predator

Post by Darkker »

jrwoitalla wrote:Opinions please- what is the best varmint scope for about $1k? Best scope made period, money is no object.
So money is no object, or $1,000???
Really depends upon the distance. For 500 yards and less. I'm happy with a 10-ish power. Othwerwise I end-up fiddling with the zoom, and not shooting. Leupold VX-II or III is my poison. Lots O folks laugh, which is fine. For 500 yards and under I personally can't see the optical difference between my Lupy's and good buddies Nightforce.
I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Many fine scopes out there, but day in and day out, Leupold models are very hard to beat, for the money and styles/types. Bill K
wirelessguy2005
.204 Ruger Guns: Custom 20 SCC, Savage LRPV 20 Nitro , Howa 1500 204 Ruger

Post by wirelessguy2005 »

I am currently using a Hawke Sidewinder Tac 6.5-20x42 30mm on my CZ 17 fireball. Its one of the best all around scopes i have ever used on a varmint rifle. In my personal opinion the glass is very good, the 1/2 mildot reticle is exceptional for shooting small varmints, and the eye relief is great as well. The scope holds zero well and the turret adjustments are precise. They sell for under $500 and in opinion you would be hard pressed to find a better scope for almost double what they sell for. We carry the entire Hawke scope line as well as the Clearidge Optics scope line. The Clearidge scopes are made by the Light Optic works factory in Japan and represent an amazing value. We have sold the Hawke and Clearidge scopes to many of the members of this forum, we get glowing reviews back from customers on both brands. It has been very common to get favorable reviews back from customers that were previously lifelong customers of other scope manufactures such as Leupold, Bushnell elite, Vortex, and Weaver to name a few.
RowdyYates
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington LVSF, Cooper M21V, C-Z 527 Kevlar V

Post by RowdyYates »

wirelessguy2005 wrote:I am currently using a Hawke Sidewinder Tac 6.5-20x42 30mm on my CZ 17 fireball. Its one of the best all around scopes i have ever used on a varmint rifle. In my personal opinion the glass is very good, the 1/2 mildot reticle is exceptional for shooting small varmints, and the eye relief is great as well. The scope holds zero well and the turret adjustments are precise. They sell for under $500 and in opinion you would be hard pressed to find a better scope for almost double what they sell for. We carry the entire Hawke scope line as well as the Clearidge Optics scope line. The Clearidge scopes are made by the Light Optic works factory in Japan and represent an amazing value. We have sold the Hawke and Clearidge scopes to many of the members of this forum, we get glowing reviews back from customers on both brands. It has been very common to get favorable reviews back from customers that were previously lifelong customers of other scope manufactures such as Leupold, Bushnell elite, Vortex, and Weaver to name a few.
1. Are the XP-5 4.5-22.5X50 Clearidges in stock now? 2. How does the Hawke Frontier compare to the one you mentioned, (e.g.: is it 1" vs. 30mm and less adjustment range with same glass) and is it Japanese-manufactured, also?
wirelessguy2005
.204 Ruger Guns: Custom 20 SCC, Savage LRPV 20 Nitro , Howa 1500 204 Ruger

Post by wirelessguy2005 »

Yes all reticle options for the Clearidge XP-5 4.5-22.5 are now available. 2. The Frontier is an older/discontinued model scope and to be honest i am not familiar with the specs on it. The Sidewinder 30 and Sidwinder Tactical are Hawke's top of the line scopes. To my knowledge there use to be one model of Hawke scope that was made in Japan. Currently they are all made in China. I will be the first to admit that chinese made products aren't typically known for being the best quality, however the new redesigned Hawke Sidewinder 30 and Sidewinder Tactical are not your typical Chinese made products. The optical quality on the Hawke scopes is really something you have to experience, all the customers that have tried them have been very impressed.

[quote="RowdyYat
1. Are the XP-5 4.5-22.5X50 Clearidges in stock now? 2. How does the Hawke Frontier compare to the one you mentioned, (e.g.: is it 1" vs. 30mm and less adjustment range with same glass) and is it Japanese-manufactured, also?[/quote]
Clint E
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by Clint E »

+1 on the Hawke Tactical
Promapper
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS 204 24" on Bushmaster lower with Luepold 8.5-20x40

Post by Promapper »

On my .204 I use the Leupold VX-III 6.5 to 20. With Varmint Hunter Reticle. Nice fine cross hairs with the typical ballistic lines plus windage marks.

Joe McCarthy (Republican senator from Wisconsin (1947–57) WAS RIGHT ! And no one listened. NOW LOOK WHAT WE GOT !
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_McCarthy
Ol` Joe
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100

Post by Ol` Joe »

jrwoitalla wrote:Opinions please- what is the best varmint scope for about $1k? Best scope made period, money is no object.

Best made? Money is no object?

Don`t know for sure but these are very highly rated,
http://www.deon.co.jp/march/