Wasn't someone selling small patches here for .204?

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
tpcollins
.204 Ruger Guns: Tikka T3 Lite

Wasn't someone selling small patches here for .204?

Post by tpcollins »

I thought maybe on this forum someone was selling the small cleaning patches for .204. I'm getting tired of cutting mine up into smaller pieces, thanks.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: Wasn't someone selling small patches here for .204?

Post by Bill K »

Check out Custom Reloading Tools. Brad and his company post on this site and have super good products. Bill K
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

I use the Pro Shot 1-1/8" square patches in every .20 cal to 6mm caliber rifle I own. All you need to do is use the correct size of spear-point jag, and these patches will work with all these calibers. Silly to have patches cut or sized for every caliber you shoot.....I'd have an index box full if I went that route!

Get a spear-point caliber-specific jag for your .20 cal rifle and be done with it, and use the universally-used 1-1/8" square patches. They also get out more crud that the tiny patches some feel are needed for the small calibers.

The only "small" patch you'll need is the 3/4" size for the .17 cal bore.

My field cleaning box with correct size brushes and jags......ALL use the same 1-1/8" patch (except for 7mm up which use the 1-1/4" size). The caliber-specific jag is the key here......spear-point is the ONLY way to go. Forget the sillly obsolete loop style of jag....worthless and harmfull to your bore.

It ain't rocket science, but you can make it as hard as you want....... :chin:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

32dgrz
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage

Post by 32dgrz »

Rick in Oregon wrote:I use the Pro Shot 1-1/8" square patches in every .20 cal to 6mm caliber rifle I own. All you need to do is use the correct size of spear-point jag, and these patches will work with all these calibers. Silly to have patches cut or sized for every caliber you shoot.....I'd have an index box full if I went that route!

Get a spear-point caliber-specific jag for your .20 cal rifle and be done with it, and use the universally-used 1-1/8" square patches. They also get out more crud that the tiny patches some feel are needed for the small calibers.

The only "small" patch you'll need is the 3/4" size for the .17 cal bore.

My field cleaning box with correct size brushes and jags......ALL use the same 1-1/8" patch (except for 7mm up which use the 1-1/4" size). The caliber-specific jag is the key here......spear-point is the ONLY way to go. Forget the sillly obsolete loop style of jag....worthless and harmfull to your bore.

It ain't rocket science, but you can make it as hard as you want....... :chin:
I wonder if I would keep my swivel studs in my clean box they would be around when I needed them.
Not a bad idea
tpcollins

Post by tpcollins »

After searching online I came across some triangular patches offered by Boresmith. I got 200 each of .20 cal and .22 cal for $3.50 for each pack. I can use a jag or a brush. About $11 for 400 patches shipped - their design sounds neat, I'll see how the reality is . . .
wirelessguy2005
.204 Ruger Guns: Custom 20 SCC, Savage LRPV 20 Nitro , Howa 1500 204 Ruger

Post by wirelessguy2005 »

We carry the cotton flannel 7/8" square and 7/8" round patches. Both work great in the .204, however i really prefer using the 7/8" round in my 204 because i feel like it offers more surface area than the square patch and therefore pick up more debris.
Here is a link to the cotton flannel patches on our website: http://www.customreloadingtools.com/crt_017.htm

We sell our patches in 1,000 count bags to provide customers with the best possible price. The price for the square 7/8" patches is $9.99 and the round 7/8" patches are $13.99

We also stock many cleaning and oiling products for all your rifle maintenance needs.
Pmoper
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FV

Post by Pmoper »

Maybe I am missing something here......I have been using .22 cal patches in my .204....seems to work great..snug fit but not overly so.....no problems encountered....does a great job....they are only .02" larger that the bore or the .204........seems rather simple to me....but then I am a pretty simple fellow.....LOL
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

Mine are 7/8 sq and they work pretty good. Just picked some 1" round ones to try out. For me the 22 patches are just to darn tight to force into the bore guide and possibly bend the rod.
tpcollins

Post by tpcollins »

My .20 cal Dewey jag must be a bit large as I can only use a very small piece. A 3/4" sg punched near the end will work. A 7/8" sg punched in the middle won't start from the breech and I'm not breaking a $40 cleaning rod. These triangular jobby-dos that I ordered sound interesting - I will report on them.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

tpcollins wrote:My .20 cal Dewey jag must be a bit large as I can only use a very small piece. A 3/4" sg punched near the end will work. A 7/8" sg punched in the middle won't start from the breech and I'm not breaking a $40 cleaning rod. These triangular jobby-dos that I ordered sound interesting - I will report on them.
The small 3/4 sq ones work fine for me, but I am interested in what you think of the triangle shaped one's you have coming, after you use them for awhile. I see the ad all the time and have wondered about them. Bill K
wirelessguy2005
.204 Ruger Guns: Custom 20 SCC, Savage LRPV 20 Nitro , Howa 1500 204 Ruger

Post by wirelessguy2005 »

i ran into the same thing when using a dewey jag. Switched over to a Montana Extreme 20 Cal jag and our 7/8" patches, haven't looked back since. :D
tpcollins wrote:My .20 cal Dewey jag must be a bit large as I can only use a very small piece. A 3/4" sg punched near the end will work. A 7/8" sg punched in the middle won't start from the breech and I'm not breaking a $40 cleaning rod. These triangular jobby-dos that I ordered sound interesting - I will report on them.
tpcollins

Post by tpcollins »

wirelessguy2005 wrote:i ran into the same thing when using a dewey jag. Switched over to a Montana Extreme 20 Cal jag and our 7/8" patches, haven't looked back since. :D
I just looked up the Montana X-Treme jags and I really like those, thanks.
tpcollins

Post by tpcollins »

My patches came and so far I like them. The .22 - 270 size works great in my AR especially with my new 24" Dewey rod. The .17 - .20 worked good in my .204 either on the jag or over the wire brush. The difference in size between the two is significant and I would have liked to have seen a dedicated .20 cal patch or a size in between these two.

The edges on these patches are "napped" and don't shred or unravel which is nice. They included a sample pack of various sizes including one the size of a "starfish" to clean shotguns. I can't see how they can keep the price down on such a nicely made patch but I'm glad they did.
RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Post by RAMOS »

FWIW, I have been using the 7/8" round patches from Brad (CRT) and really like them. I think part of what makes a patch fit well is the weight of the fabric, not just the size. One thing I like about these is that they are felted on both sides, does not matter how you put it on the jag. The jag, for reference, is a bore-tech.
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

[quote="RAMOS"]I think part of what makes a patch fit well is the weight of the fabric, not just the size.[/Pquote]

I think you're right, I use the military 22 cal patches and they're great for 22 & 24 cal bores.