CZ vs Savage

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
wisconsinteacher
.204 Ruger Guns: none

CZ vs Savage

Post by wisconsinteacher »

I would like to know what rifle is the most accurate. The 527 Varmint or the 12FV? I don't care about looks, barrel nuts, safetys, or weight. I want to know as a reloader, what rifle will I be able to make the smallest groups with.

Thanks.
RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Re: CZ vs Savage

Post by RAMOS »

Straight out of the box, no modifications, Savage............................usually!!!!
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

Ditto to what RAMOS said for the CZ!! :wink: :wink:

They can both be made to shoot very very accurately witht the right load & optics.

And if you buy both you can do a comparison for us!! :lol: :lol:

Either way we wanna see it!!!!!! :wink:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Sth Oz Dan
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Hawkeye

Post by Sth Oz Dan »

+1 on what Glen said - get both and do the comparison for us :D
Then when your review is done, send me the one you don't need.
wisconsinteacher

I am leaning toward the CZ as of now. I think the trigger can be adjusted more and the wood does look better than the plastic of the FV. It is also a little lighter.
RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Post by RAMOS »

I really like the way you phrased your question. Certainly minimized the chance of responses that would potentially steer the thread away from the information you are seeking. That being said, there never was a thread that I could stay completely on track with. My belief is that the accuracy is going to be pretty equal and the decision could well come down to the specifics you wanted to exclude. In addition to what you have listed above, Accu-Trigger or no, magazine or no, etcetera.
wisconsinteacher

I have been looking at these two rifles for a long time. I am undecided at this point but like I said I am leaning toward CZ. The rifle is 1 pound lighter, wood stock, shorter barrel, and a set trigger. I want the rifle for a range rifle that will be used for some coyote hunting. I love to reload and shoot. I want to get a few rilfes set up in different cal so I can take them to the rifle and rotate them as I shoot so they can cool down. The rifle will be in .204 Ruger that I know for sure.
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

I wanted to type more but for some reason I stayed within the parameters set forth in the original post. :eek: Heck I never do that!! :lol: :lol: The set trigger on the CZ's are very nice. I don't remember what the CZ American will drop down to on the set but I believe it's in the 6-10oz range. I haven't shot it in a while. My Wife won't let me. :wink: The ACCU trigger is well liked by many many shooters. Easily adjustable as well & goes down very low. If you have a chance to hold them both to check out the triggers side by side I think that would help too. Good Luck making this decision!!

BTW-- We gonna wanna see pics if I didn't already mention that. :lol: :lol:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
wisconsinteacher

Well I got to see a Savage and CZ side-by-side today. The action on the CZ felt smoother and I liked the feel of the CZ trigger compared to the Accu-trigger. What really made me like the CZ more was that the stock was way nicer than the plastic one on the Savage. If I went with the Savage, I would have to upgrade the stock to get rid of the plastic feel. I am guessing with the right loads, both will shoot .5 MOA at 100 yards. With that said, I am saving up for a CZ starting now.
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

It's far to say that both put out exceptional shooting rifles. Likewise, they can both put out a clunker too. Then it comes down to C/S to rectify the issue.

If it were me and I were keeping it as-is, I would pick the one that feels/fits the best. If you're going the aftermarket route for various issues then I'd check and see what is out there for each one.

HTH
FourMoCajuns
.204 Ruger Guns: Model 1 AR upper an Spikes Tactical lower

Post by FourMoCajuns »

wisconsinteacher wrote:Well I got to see a Savage and CZ side-by-side today. The action on the CZ felt smoother and I liked the feel of the CZ trigger compared to the Accu-trigger. What really made me like the CZ more was that the stock was way nicer than the plastic one on the Savage. If I went with the Savage, I would have to upgrade the stock to get rid of the plastic feel. I am guessing with the right loads, both will shoot .5 MOA at 100 yards. With that said, I am saving up for a CZ starting now.
With the right loads I know the Savage will shoot MUCH better than half moa. I suppose the CZ could do the same.
KiwiMonkey
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 VLP

Post by KiwiMonkey »

wisconsinteacher wrote:If I went with the Savage, I would have to upgrade the stock to get rid of the plastic feel.
Worth taking a look at the factory non-plastic Savages as well then instead of limiting the comparison to the FV - BVSS, VLP, BTCSS are all laminate/stainless heavy barrel varmint versions.

http://savagearms.com/firearms/models/
Savage 12-VLP .204
Savage MkIIF(B)SS .22LR
Ruger Hawkeye .308
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

Another thing to consider is whether or not the stock is set up for a magazine or floor pan for ease if unloading. Some Savage models come with a solid bottom while others don't. For CZ, AFAIK in 204 they all come with a 5-round magazine.

As far as a bore scope goes, my CZ barrel looks just as clean as my Krieger barrels. Dunno' about a Savage.

At the end of the day, look at at the various models Savage offers because they offer the most choices (IMO) and pick the one you like the best. One caviet to CZ's is the safety is inverse to US made rifles, the barrel threads are metric and when the set trigger is "set" the trigger pull is increased, so keep that in mind if your hands are small. Either choice will be a winner.