Bore snakes?

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
247sniper
.204 Ruger Guns: Custom .204 Ruger !

Bore snakes?

Post by 247sniper »

Hi guys,

Does anyone use bore snake with their .204's as a quick clean method, like to remove powder residue and muck, but keep the copper fowling in place etc?

Steve.
sakofan
.204 Ruger Guns: remington varmit sf

Re: Bore snakes?

Post by sakofan »

I use one for a quick clean sometimes.
If I was out shooting and was going out again the following day I would use it.
I would also use it after a nights lamping and give the rifle a proper cleaning the following day.
Some moderators leave a lot of carbon in the last few inches of the barrel and the boresnake
will remove most of this before it hardens
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

I use them for a fast clean up of the bore to remove grit, etc. after shooting and if I am going to shoot the weapon the next day. If not then out come the good old fashioned cleaning tools and a full cleaning is done. BIll K
bow shot
.204 Ruger Guns: Rock River Arms AR-15 Varminter
Location: Central NY: infested with liberal wack-jobs and their damage

Post by bow shot »

I like it for a quick wipe-down, and used to use one to "hold" solvent against the bore overnight. Can't say if that method was really good, its just what I did and it mads sense to me (?)

That said, I seldom clean the barrel anymore, even though I'll put close to 1K shots on a barrel over the summer. I find that IF I develop my load for a "dirty" barrel, that It will group well for a VERYlong time. I think my Savage VLP went past the 200 shots mark withou cleaning the bore, and it kept all shots w'i 0.5" easily.

Yes, I do realize that I'm nuts, LOL!!