Factory 20VT chambering

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Factory 20VT chambering

Post by Bill K »

Do any of you know or believe that one or more of the gun makers, other than Cooper, will ever offer a chambering in the 20VT. I think they are really missing the boat on doing so. :D I.E. CZ, Ruger for starters. Bill K
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Factory 20VT chambering

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Bill: Until the 20VT gets SAAMI and CIP approval, you'll not see it offered as a factory offering from the major makers. Just take into account all the hassles of getting the 17HH approved.....it took over three years for the SAAMI approval. CZ won't chamber anything that's not CIP approved also, and that's even harder to achieve.

Bottom Line: Don't hold your breath. Thanks to firms like Cooper and Cascade Arms, we at least have it as a "semi-custom" offering. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Bill K

Post by Bill K »

I know you are right, Rick. But as I say, even if wheels turn very slow many times, the major's are missing the boat. In time, I know. Bill K
Bodei
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa Mod 1500 24" BBL .204R; Cooper M21 20 VT; CZ 527 17HH

Post by Bodei »

I wonder exactly how many 20vt have been sold each year by Cooper since it was introduced? I bet the last 2 years have really skyrocketed.
K = ½mv2
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Considering that Remington now has the 17 and 221 Fireballs (22 cal), it would make perfect sense for them to label their next one as the "20 Fireball" and have three calibers based on one case....but as they do not make ANY .20 caliber bullets at this time, one can only wonder what driving forces at R-P are at work to determine market share for such a venture.

It would require a huge imvestment in terms of tooling and production setup, but hey, imagine a factory loaded 20VT right now. If R-P does not do this, they are once again missing the proverbial boat. Time will tell, right? :chin:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Rick, Remington does have the Accutip in .20 cal. only that one, as far as I know, but it sure would stand to reason to chamber a 20FB and load it with that bullet for a start. Would be a good starter for them, I really believe. Maybe if they recieved many emails asking about a 20 FB they would get on the ball. Bill K
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Bill: Right you are, but that Accu-Tip is made for them by Hornady. Remington themselves do not make their own .20 bullets.......dangit!
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Darn... Here I thought maybe that would give them a push to chamber the 20VT.. Still think I will send Corp/Rem a email saying they are missing the boat, by not coming out with a 20FB alongwith their two other FB's.. Can not hurt anyway.. Bill K
TC Encore204
.204 Ruger Guns: Encore

Factory 20VT chambering

Post by TC Encore204 »

Remington recently dropped the 17 fireball, and are doing nothing to support the ones they already sold with ammo or brass. Seems that they aren't doing much to support the 221 or 17 rem either. I doubt they'd be anxious to legitimize a new cartridge that is so similar to one they just dropped, or other ones they aren't supporting very well either. JMO
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Well there loss will be someone else's gain, down the road. I would just like to see a few other options, other than Cooper and/or rebarreling, from a factory chambered 20VT, alongwith maybe some 20 Tac's, etc. BIll K
TC Encore204
.204 Ruger Guns: Encore

Factory 20VT chambering

Post by TC Encore204 »

I agree with you, but as we know magnums sell. Magnummania takes away from other cartridges that may be deserving of being legitimized I think.
inKYfromSD
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 varmint .204, Cooper Model 21 20 VarTarg

Post by inKYfromSD »

TC Encore204 wrote:Remington recently dropped the 17 fireball, and are doing nothing to support the ones they already sold with ammo or brass. Seems that they aren't doing much to support the 221 or 17 rem either. I doubt they'd be anxious to legitimize a new cartridge that is so similar to one they just dropped, or other ones they aren't supporting very well either. JMO

I was in the market for a .30 cal rifle two years ago. A Remington rep. was talking to me about their new 30 RAR. He promised me that Remington was fully behind the new proprietary round and that brass would be available soon. I didn't have an AR so I bought the 30 RAR. Fast forward 2 years - ammunition is virtually non-existent and brass is not available. There is no "parent" cartridge so you can't form brass from anything else. Fool me once...

Remington dropping the 17 FB doesn't surprise me. I bought 200 pieces of 221 FB brass for my new 20 VT but I'm going with formed brass from here on out. I'm not going to give them the chance to fool me twice.
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

inKYfromSD.. If you want to add some super brass for your 20VT, contact Adam Bentley (posts here all the time) and try his LC formed brass. Super great of forming and ready to go brass. Decent price also, for the work involved. Bill K No I do not work for him, but I sure will plug his brass.. SMILE.
Bodei
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa Mod 1500 24" BBL .204R; Cooper M21 20 VT; CZ 527 17HH

Post by Bodei »

The good thing about fireball based cartridges is that 221 FB has stood the test of time.
K = ½mv2
204cat
.204 Ruger Guns: rem 700 sps in 204ruger

Post by 204cat »

"20 fireball" like the sound of that. wonder what the ballistics would be like ? better or less than the 20 vt ?