Any idea,s how to purchase A COOPER

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
geoff23
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger hb target vt1

Any idea,s how to purchase A COOPER

Post by geoff23 »

Hi there. I have A small problem!. I appreciate fine rifle,s and all I can think about is how am I going to purchase A cooper Montana Var-minter . I don,t mind the price tag, But how the heck am I going to obtain one when I live way down here in New Zealand!! Any ideas. Or will I just buy A Kimber varmint, Is this as close as I,m gona get.
Thanks for any advise. All the best for the New Year.
Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

Re: Any idea,s how to purchase A COOPER

Post by Mike »

Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Geoff, why not contact Cooper directly from their website and ask them what would be the best dealer to work with to land a Cooper in your hands there in NZ?

http://www.cooperfirearms.com/

They want to sell rifles, and you want to buy one of theirs........seems doable to me from here........ :chin: Good luck with the quest, as everyone needs and deserves one nice rifle. :wink:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Bodei
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa Mod 1500 24" BBL .204R; Cooper M21 20 VT; CZ 527 17HH

Post by Bodei »

They are very easy to deal with, give them a call or e-mail.
K = ½mv2
ozfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by ozfox »

It took me 12mths to get mine to Aus with moa performance
geoff23

Post by geoff23 »

I see MOA performance in Aussie is the closest dealer to New Zealand . So I sent them A email. Wounder when I,ll hear back!
Ozfox you waited 12 mouth! Must of been hard going, I expect your more than happy with your purchase. Have you shot her yet!. If MOA would agree to purchase one for me . Anybody here from downunder know if its possible to export A firearme from Aussie to NZ
Ozfox if it not to cheeky do you mind if I ask what you payed for your cooper with fees etc
Thanks once again

Rick, I see also in A tread from some time back that you do indeed own a204 kimber varmint as well! One of these I easily obtain. What opinion of it trigger, o/a finish. etc . I have A kimber of Oregon 22lr varmint, if it anything like that. I think it could be A second option.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

geoff23 wrote:Rick, I see also in A tread from some time back that you do indeed own a204 kimber varmint as well! One of these I easily obtain. What opinion of it trigger, o/a finish. etc . I have A kimber of Oregon 22lr varmint, if it anything like that. I think it could be A second option.
Geoff, as far as fit and finish between the my Coopers and my Kimber, not much of a difference. Both are assembled very well with attention to detail using high quality components, both have nice wood. Both triggers are similar, both adjustable. The difference comes in the accuracy department.....my Kimber is a repeater with magazine cutout, so naturally it is not as accurate as the single-shot Cooper with it's solid-bottom receiver w/o any mag cutout. The Coopers also have heavier barrels (VR and MTV models), so the accuracy nod again goes to the Coopers.

My Kimber 84M in 204 on the bench during a rat shoot. Normally I don't use this as a bench gun, liking it much more for a walkabout rifle:

A closer lookie-see:

I have a Kimber of Oregon M82 in 22 K-Hornet, and it's quality/fit/finish is comparable with the newer gun made in NY.....they didn't lose any production value by moving the operation to the other side of the country when the company was sold it appears.

I'm guessing eventually Cooper will offer their varmint rifles in "sporter" or walkabout configuration as repeaters. The Jackson Varminter is close, and may deserve a proper look also. But for accuracy, my Coopers will shoot rings around my Kimber......any day of the week, but I still love 'em both. JME :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

ozfox

Post by ozfox »

Very happy with my cooper if you have to go with Scott at moa to get a rifle it will do your head in, email cooper and talk to your gun dealers.
$2450 i would look at going a custom rifle to get away from moa redfox waited about 2 years to get his with moa
Mike

Post by Mike »

I recall reading somewhere that Cooper ships rifles to New Zealand, but do not remember where I saw that. If you're serious about laying hands on a Cooper, the absolute best route to take is to call the company directly. Emails are ok, but phone calls are a lot more efficient in my experience.
bazz
.204 Ruger Guns: tikka

Post by bazz »

why not just get a sako or do what i did and got a tikka varmit and used the money to put a top quality scope on
ozfox

Post by ozfox »

get a sako action hs stock chamber a bull barrel in 204
geoff23

Post by geoff23 »

Picture really are worth a thousand words! Thanks Rick. Very informative
Talked to the agent for kimber here in NZ the other day .Apparently they have no 204s in stock , Plus it gona take 4 till 5 months to receive one from the states. This would give me the ideal time to save for A scope. They do how ever have A 223 plus a 22-250 which I could have in 2-3 days . I,m not one to wait . What to do! Maybe I,ll think it over the weekend.
ozfox

Post by ozfox »

Wait for the 204
geoff23

Post by geoff23 »

Well Ive done it! The deposit has been payed. In four months if all goes well A brand new kimber varminter in 204 will await me. Boy am I buzzing! ! Its going to be A long few month :( I don,t think I can stand it. Could I possible ask for any more picture to keep me going or any of you kimber owners out there, please tell me how good they are again! .
Only thing I really worry ed about is that I won,t receive a nice piece of wood. Fingers crossed .Anyway I,ll be sure to post A few Pictures in four months.bye for now
Mike

Post by Mike »

Congrats on the new rifle, Geoff!