Bullet Advice for Prairie Dogs

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
Ingwe
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage M12 LPV

Bullet Advice for Prairie Dogs

Post by Ingwe »

:?: :?: Hello Fellas 1st Post here and I look forward to many more!

I am going to begin reloading for my Savage VLP in 204 Ruger with Prairie Dogs in mind and I am wondering what bullet you all recommend.

I have been on 2 PD shoots in south central Kansas and am planning on another next year. I killed a BUNCH of them with Federal Premium 39gr Blitz Kings, but since I will be reloading I am free to choose whichever bullet I want. Most of my kills were between 200-300 yards...any further was usually a wasted shot due to the ever present wind. I am thinking about the most explosive bullet possible in order to disintegrate the little buggers at that range. I am leaning toward the 32gr V-Max since I think the 24gr's are too light and the 40gr V-Max too heavy.

Whatdaya think??

Thanks!

Frank
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: Bullet Advice for Prairie Dogs

Post by Bill K »

Most seen to use the 32 and 39 grain bullets. Sierra, Nosler being the favored ones. Other brands work in various rifles/twists, but these two weights are the day in day out go to ones. Bill K :D
Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

Post by Mike »

To me, it comes down to which bullet weight your rifle prefers the most. I shoot prairie dogs with 32's and 39/40's quite a bit, and can't tell any difference in the field results.
toasty
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 16

Post by toasty »

I shoot them with a 30g berger and they "blow up" really nice. I've also shot a few with a 34g HP. You're going to want to try a couple different bullets and find out which one is the most accurate out of your rifle, that is the one I would shoot. If it has a hollow point or polymer tip, they all do a nice job of exploding on impact.
Joe O
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV,Ruger K1V,G2 Contender

Post by Joe O »

Best bang for the buck is Nosler Varmageddon 32gr HP or Polamer tip for 20cal 1:12 twist.Gone up some,but still around $13 a hundred,if you can get them.Hard to beat the 39gr SBK for bucking wind in a 204r.Most all varmint bullets will give explosive terminal results,from 3400 fps on up.
bow shot
.204 Ruger Guns: Rock River Arms AR-15 Varminter
Location: Central NY: infested with liberal wack-jobs and their damage

Post by bow shot »

The 39gn SBKs and 40gn Bergers always surprise me for their uncanny wind resistance.

I'm sure just abut anything (varmint or hybrid) will do fine..
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

For shooting 'Skippy" I shoot the 32 gr.V-max, mostly because of cost. When we go thru maybe 300, to sometimes 400 rounds per day. And when the wind picks up, or I want to shoot longer ranges, I turn to the 39 gr. SBK's.
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
wirelessguy2005
.204 Ruger Guns: Custom 20 SCC, Savage LRPV 20 Nitro , Howa 1500 204 Ruger

Post by wirelessguy2005 »

I second what Joe said. I have tested the Nosler Varmageddon 32 grain tipped bullets extensively and they are the most explosive 20 caliber bullets i have found. As a bonus they are also the most accurate production bullet i have found in 20 caliber. I will mention that they have been a little difficult to find for the last 6 months. My second choice would be the Sierra 32 grain Blitzking bullets, great accuracy although they do cost a little more.

Brad
Sidewinderwa
.204 Ruger Guns: Savages

Post by Sidewinderwa »

I shoot 39 grain Sierra Blitzkings in all my 204s. I like the better BC and like to use the same bullet all the time. I have shot prairie dogs out to 600 yards with them. I do have some Nosler Varmageddon bullets in 20 and 17 caliber to try out. Have not shot any yet, but have some loaded up to try.
Please, no Sidewinder today!