Laser boresighter for 204

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
Motoshooter
.204 Ruger Guns: Tikka

Laser boresighter for 204

Post by Motoshooter »

Gentlemen

Do you know if there is a good laser boresighter made that fits the 204 Ruger?
Id prefer a unit that works for other calibers too but mainly for the 204.

Suggestions?
Grendel
.204 Ruger Guns: AR with Shilen 24" barrel

Re: Laser boresighter for 204

Post by Grendel »

204 AR W/24" Shilen barrel, Timney trigger, Todd Jerrett extended handguard, Leupold VX-2 6X18X40 Adj. Obj. Target Knobs
dsandfort
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 BTCSS

Post by dsandfort »

Here's a trick I learned years ago. Works with any caliber and gets me within 4-6 inches every time. Last time I did it (last week) I was 2" high and 1" right at 100. It's free but you need to do it at night.

Find a street light (yard light, etc.) 2-300 yards away. Bag/rest/secure your rifle and look down the barrel (no bolt of course) til you center the light in the bore. Then move the windage and elevation adjustments so they center on the street light without moving the gun on the rest.. Works every time. Just not with lever guns.

Hope this helps.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Don't have a laser boresighter.....don't need one, neither do you. This one's free too.

For almost 50 years I've been using a similar method to dsandfort's above , but usually in the daytime (although I've used his method at night also). I've got a white rail fence out front, and a post at 25 yards has a 3/4" square piece of black electrical tape on it. From my dining room window with my rifle placed in a solid rest and the bolt removed, it's easy to center the bore on the black against white background, adjust the scope until it also aligns with the black square, shoot at 100 yards, and it's usually within a few clicks of "being dialed", usually within three shots.

I'm sure you've got a similar arrangement you could improvise and come up with a fast 'n easy "target" to sight-in on.

Caveat: If you have close-by neighbors that can see you and your rifle through the window.........well, just keep proper social neighborhood behavior in mind and act accordingly (do it when they're not home). :lol:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

The only drawback with this type boresighter I see, is you need to buy the adapter case for every different case type you will need to use it on. My personal preference is the type that is pushed into the muzzle end of the rifle. I own and use a Lazorlite universal model. It comes with adapter collets that cover most calibers. I have used mine on my 204, and used it when helping other people set up scopes on some of the bigger 30 cal magnums. When able to "dial in" close to 100 yds with it, I have found very accurate results. Saved a lot of ammo when putting POI on paper. The only drawback here, is keeping track of the adapter collets.
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
Grendel
.204 Ruger Guns: AR with Shilen 24" barrel

Post by Grendel »

I've used all methods mentioned above and they all work....after many years of collecting "gadgets" it gets down to personnel preference. If you have a good scope, all you need to do is get on paper on the first shot and it's an easy day from there.
204 AR W/24" Shilen barrel, Timney trigger, Todd Jerrett extended handguard, Leupold VX-2 6X18X40 Adj. Obj. Target Knobs
bazz
.204 Ruger Guns: tikka

Post by bazz »

Rick in Oregon wrote:Don't have a laser boresighter.....don't need one, neither do you. This one's free too.

For almost 50 years I've been using a similar method to dsandfort's above , but usually in the daytime (although I've used his method at night also). I've got a white rail fence out front, and a post at 25 yards has a 3/4" square piece of black electrical tape on it. From my dining room window with my rifle placed in a solid rest and the bolt removed, it's easy to center the bore on the black against white background, adjust the scope until it also aligns with the black square, shoot at 100 yards, and it's usually within a few clicks of "being dialed", usually within three shots.

I'm sure you've got a similar arrangement you could improvise and come up with a fast 'n easy "target" to sight-in on.

Caveat: If you have close-by neighbors that can see you and your rifle through the window.........well, just keep proper social neighborhood behavior in mind and act accordingly (do it when they're not home). :lol:
i do as rick does and i all so have a plumb bob hanging as well to make sure the scope is straight up and down cheers bazz
RowdyYates
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington LVSF, Cooper M21V, C-Z 527 Kevlar V

Post by RowdyYates »

If you're talking one of those in-chamber units, I have one (SS, Sightmark? Can't remember.) Here's the procedure for using it:
1. Go out and buy 4 button batteries to fit, because unless you remembered to remove them after last used, they're dead because it's almost impossible to shut it off. Better buy a couple extra batt's. because you'll probably lose at least one fumbling to stack them in the tiny tube just right. And remember, those are reverse threads, for God knows why, and you'll probably dump at least one load until you figure it out.
2. Turn on unit and lay on follower, but don't close bolt, because it won't extract the boresighter; it won't feed it either, so get a couple of eraser-tipped pencils and jockey the unit into the chamber, cringing as it scrapes against the walls. By this time, it's probably turned off from all the jiggling, so fish it back out and re-insert and hope it stays on.
3. Zero with beam on target, with appropriate compensation for elevation at your sight-in distance.
4. Take gun to range. After first shot hopefully doesn't end up in ground or next county, pull the bolt and look down the barrel. Move gun until center of target is visible, then adjust your windage and elevation to zero your reticle.
5. Upon returning home, pitch laser boreghter in trash.
I wouldn't bother with the barrel end units, either, as it's hard to get those sizing arbors centered; I also don't like sticking anything but bullets and cleaning patches/brushes through my rifling. An exception might be the Wheeler unit that magnetically clamps to the outside of the barrel.
RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Post by RAMOS »

Most excellent tutorial, Rowdy! I believe you could do quite well conducting Work Shops. Just too funny :)
Tokimini
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS with a Shilen barrel

Post by Tokimini »

RowdyYates wrote:5. Upon returning home, pitch laser boreghter in trash.
LOL
toasty
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 16

Post by toasty »

Leupold zero point tool, that things works on everything I've tried it on. It will get you on paper and then every time you switch a scope or take it off, you can put it back on to about 1 click. Check it out.
Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

Post by Mike »

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/213072 ... bore-sight

I bought one of these, but haven't used it yet. I am a bit skeptical about sticking anything to the end of my barrels, so I will give this a careful look before deciding whether to use it. Reviews of the Wheeler unit are quite positive, though, which prompted me to order it in the first place.

I normally use the old-fashioned method of bore sighting, but it doesn't work nearly as well with my semi-autos. :wink: