NEED SOME HELP FOR A STOCK

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
ALP
.204 Ruger Guns: rem.700

NEED SOME HELP FOR A STOCK

Post by ALP »

Hey Guys,I just got a Rem 700 SPS Varmit and want to do some up grades to it.Iwant to swap out the stock but Im not sure how to order.I take it that it's a short action,But I don't see any dealers listing a sps.Would that be considered a ADL,BDL or what???? The barrel is a 26in. heavy varmit.Can any body tell me what I need to order? I would like something a little heavy and not spend over $200.00 bucks Thanks for any help you can give.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: NEED SOME HELP FOR A STOCK

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Assuming you've got a 204, that's the M700 Short Action. Many of us here have done lots of business with Boyd's Gunstocks....good prices, usually in stock, and a stock style, material and color to please about everyone. The model you have is listed with many options. Here's one to consider:

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/product.h ... 3&cat=1221

Good luck with the build.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

TrapperDan
.204 Ruger Guns: remington 700 204,cz 527 american 204

Post by TrapperDan »

Two years ago I purchased a Boyd stock for my rem 700 sps 204 (short action) At that time they didn’t have a stock for the sps so I had to purchase a BDL stock which didn’t have a large enough barrel channel. I had to remove quite a bit of wood to make it fit. I like the thumb hole. I Would suggest you call Boyd, if you go that route, and confirm the right stock. They are great people and very helpful.

Yipeeeeee It really worked
Wolves . ISIS of the animal world
bang bang
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage m10 max1

Post by bang bang »

Bell&Carlson Medalist. Just about a perfect drop in stock with a wide barrel channel and it is a full leighth aluminum bedding block. I bought one for my .243 SPS and it dropped right in. I even skim coated the bedding area with Dev-con. It's a great stock, many colors to choose from. I paid $220 brand new off GunBroker. Look at Stockystock.com. I'm pretty sure they will gave what you want. If you have bottom metal, hinged floor plate it's a BDL. If its just a metal trigger guard it's a ADL. Hope this helps, good luck.
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

All kinds of options out there, especially for a Remington 700. Look around a check out all models/styles you can. Also determine if you want wood, laminate, or composite like McMillian, Manners, HS Precision or Bell & Carlson.
RowdyYates
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington LVSF, Cooper M21V, C-Z 527 Kevlar V

Post by RowdyYates »

bang bang wrote:Bell&Carlson Medalist. Just about a perfect drop in stock with a wide barrel channel and it is a full leighth aluminum bedding block. I bought one for my .243 SPS and it dropped right in. I even skim coated the bedding area with Dev-con. It's a great stock, many colors to choose from. I paid $220 brand new off GunBroker. Look at Stockystock.com. I'm pretty sure they will gave what you want. If you have bottom metal, hinged floor plate it's a BDL. If its just a metal trigger guard it's a ADL. Hope this helps, good luck.
Exactly what he said. I did the same with my SPSSV. Just had it out this a.m.; shoots great but I'm needing to bed the action as the little-bigger dia. barrel on my stainless model touches the stock slightly if supported too far out, and I don't want to remove any more material to keep it floated.
ALP

Post by ALP »

Thanks for the input guys.That Bell & Carlson Medalist sounds like the stock Im looking for.Just hope it drops in ok.
ALP

Post by ALP »

Hey guys I forgot to ask.Does that stock have a cheek well on the left side or is neautral? the reason I ask is because its a right handed bolt, but I shoot left handed.
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

ALP wrote:Thanks for the input guys.That Bell & Carlson Medalist sounds like the stock Im looking for.Just hope it drops in ok.
All of my HS Precision stocks dropped right in, no fitting required although I did bed them because I'm a believer that it helps. Another full aluminum bedded stock I have id a Hogue over mold. It ain't pretty (black rubber feel) but after bedding, it sure is accurate. Can't add anything for or against a Bell & Carlson but they seem to be right in line with the two that I have.
RowdyYates
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington LVSF, Cooper M21V, C-Z 527 Kevlar V

Post by RowdyYates »

ALP wrote:Hey guys I forgot to ask.Does that stock have a cheek well on the left side or is neautral? the reason I ask is because its a right handed bolt, but I shoot left handed.
The B&C A1 (2958) Varmint/Tactical has no cheek piece; neither does the similar, slightly-heavier vertical grip #2 model. Grips are ambidextrous, too.
sharps45-120
.204 Ruger Guns: Kimber 84M .204 Ruger

Post by sharps45-120 »

Hey ALP, 3 weeks ago I just put a BOYDS Laminated Thumbhole Varminter stock on my Cousins New Remington 700 SPS in 204 Ruger. It dropped right in and Looks Great and the Rifle shoots Awesome. He loves it. I also have one on my Mdl 700 BDL in 17 Remington and one on my Winchester mdl 70 270WSM. I love them both. Also have a Boyds Thumbhole Laminated on my T/C Contender. Boyds are Great Stocks and fit extremely well and very reasonable. I have bought 9 or 10 Boyds stocks over the last 6 or so years and would go to them first. My Opinion.
Storeyteller
.204 Ruger Guns: Frankenstein ar

Post by Storeyteller »

Like the Boyds Thumbhole too. Have 2 of em. That Tacticool stock looks good too. Might get 1 for my next build.
TrapperDan
.204 Ruger Guns: remington 700 204,cz 527 american 204

Post by TrapperDan »

Hey ALP, I am also left handed. That’s the reason I bought the Boyd stock (shown above) as it is a left hand stock, right hand bolt. Makes the perfect bench gun for squirrels, especially when shooting single shot. Dan
Wolves . ISIS of the animal world
savageboy23
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700 sps varmint

Post by savageboy23 »

I have the same rifle and am in the same predicament but I'm looking at hs precision, macmillian, or bell and Carlson. I prefer a synthetic stock but want a quality composite one.
Remington 700 sps varmit with Leupold vx-3 6.5-20 adj objective HS Precision stock and timney trigger