Barrel length

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
Flatliner
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Barrel length

Post by Flatliner »

Hi guys....................

What would you say is the optimum barrel length for a 204?
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Barrel length

Post by Rick in Oregon »

All four of my 204's along with my 20VT all wear 24" barrels. Matter of fact, ALL my varmint rifles wear that length, as I find that particular length the best (IMO) for the combination of handling in the field, on the bench and velocity. Anything longer gets too muzzle heavy and clunky, shorter gives too much blast and velocity loss, but it's purty subjective at best. :D

You may find this piece interesting to make your decision:

http://www.bullberry.com/204_ruger_velocities.html
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

dsandfort
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 BTCSS

Post by dsandfort »

My wife shoots a 26" and all mine are 24". I take hers out of the case and put it on the bench. I take hers off the bench and put it in the case. You get the picture. I took hers on a p-dog hunt this past summer and found it a bit cumbersome for walking around. However, I do like shooting it off the bench. If I had to pick one, I'd stay with the 24" but if you want a "truck" gun, maybe even a 22".
Flatliner

Post by Flatliner »

Thanks lads.

At the minute, Howa 1500 seems to the best value for money over here, and so it's a choice of a 20" heavy, 22" sporter or a 24" heavy. As most of my shooting is done on foot, plus the fact that I want to add a moderator, means I'll probably go for the 22". I know the figures for Hornady factory ammo are from a 26" barrel, just wondering how much of an impact the shorter barrel will have on velocities?
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Flatliner: This may help answer your 204 barrel length/velocity question:

HTH :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Post by Hotshot »

I have studied this at the bench with chrono and in the field. My conclusion from thousands of rounds fired is with 39&40 grain bullets you gain very little with longer than 24 inch barrel and also very little, if any, gain from the last 1/2 grain of powder approaching maximum. An 11 twist 24 inch barrel produces a stable 39 grain bullet at well beyond 600 yards from loads with .3 to .5 under recommended max. By the way, the only reason to stop shooting your 204R at 600 yards is to bring out your 20BR and 32 grain bullets are for the 20VT.
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

Hotshot...for everything I have but the 204, I agree. But the 204's...mine prefer the upper load range. Dunno' why.
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Post by Hotshot »

JW,
A few years back I would have agreed with you whole heartedly. 4 years ago while helping a friend develop loads for his new rifle we sat down with the chrony and started working up to the max load. I think we were using Benchmark but that really doesn't matter. In .2 increments we only gained 27 fps for the last grain we used. When my friend looked at me and asked why he should add that last grain I didn't have a good answer. He never did and has loved the performance of that rifle. Since then I always drop back .3 to .5 from max and the more I shoot my 204's the better I get with them. To each his own, this opinion is worth every penny you paid for it.
Mark
Flatliner

Post by Flatliner »

Thanks for the info guys.
Rick in Oregon wrote:Flatliner: This may help answer your 204 barrel length/velocity question:

HTH :D
Excellent link, Rick................ I really should have read it the first time you posted. My apologies. :oops:
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

Hotshot wrote:JW,
A few years back I would have agreed with you whole heartedly. 4 years ago while helping a friend develop loads for his new rifle we sat down with the chrony and started working up to the max load. I think we were using Benchmark but that really doesn't matter. In .2 increments we only gained 27 fps for the last grain we used. When my friend looked at me and asked why he should add that last grain I didn't have a good answer. He never did and has loved the performance of that rifle. Since then I always drop back .3 to .5 from max and the more I shoot my 204's the better I get with them. To each his own, this opinion is worth every penny you paid for it.
Mark
I follow you exactly and I would do the same especially if the accuracy is still there. Another thing I've learned is [IMO]; in the big scheme of things an extra 100 fps doesn't always buy you that much more shooting distance. Oh...it helps and sounds nice but its not the end all-to be-all.
Blacklab
.204 Ruger Guns: lilja 17 1-12 T ar 15

Post by Blacklab »

Rick in Oregon wrote:All four of my 204's along with my 20VT all wear 24" barrels. Matter of fact, ALL my varmint rifles wear that length, as I find that particular length the best (IMO) for the combination of handling in the field, on the bench and velocity. Anything longer gets too muzzle heavy and clunky, shorter gives too much blast and velocity loss, but it's purty subjective at best. :D

You may find this piece interesting to make your decision:

Thanks for the link Rick.
I'm just getting into the Ruger 204 in AR platforum. My velocities an moa suck :mad: Using a new lilja 1-12 17 inch barrel and factory hornady v-max my velocities are 3500 - 3600. Your link shows I'm 200 to 300 fps short fps which answers a lot of questions. Thanks now I have a better idea on where to go "SLOWLY". :D
Hey, I'm not a complete idiot. I have parts missing.