Which bullet to use

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
Whitetail fanatic
.204 Ruger Guns: .204 bushmaster

Which bullet to use

Post by Whitetail fanatic »

Let me start by telling you a little about my gun, I bought it at cabelas it"s a bushmaster .204 with an 18" barrel with a 1:8 twist.Now my ammo I've been shooting the Hornady 32 gr vmax i love the accuracy but am concerned that it may be a little light for coyote hunting,I've thought about the berger bullet in a 35 gr. Any thoughts or input?
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: Which bullet to use

Post by Bill K »

A heavier bullet would most likely serve you better, if they will work and fire accurately in your rifle. I, however, have shot numerous coyotes with the 32 and 34 grain bullets in both the 204R and 20VT and it has worked just fine. Many do like that Berger bullet, but you will really have to see what and how your rifle does and go from there. Just my opinion. Bill K :)
Whitetail fanatic
.204 Ruger Guns: .204 bushmaster

Post by Whitetail fanatic »

Thanks Bill, I've tried the 40 v-max and at 100 yards I was all over the target at 200 I was lucky to keep them on the target that's why I was wondering about a 35 grain. My shots here in MEEEECHIGAN range from 125 yards out to 300 any farther I wouldn't attempt with a light bullet.
tpcollins
.204 Ruger Guns: Tikka T3 Lite

Post by tpcollins »

Go out and whack one and see for yourself. With that barrel length I would think you'd still be over 3600 fps - I always go for the lung area, not the shoulder. Mine shoots 32gr under 1/2" at 100 yards, it will not shoot 39gr worth a darn.
Darkker
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger Predator

Post by Darkker »

Just whacked a yote a bit past 200 yards yesterday. I'm shooting 34gr. Midsouth Varmint Nightmares(Nosler).
Dead drops and no movement. For $.09 a bullet can't say no!
I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.