Rem 700 aftermarket triggers

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
savageboy23
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700 sps varmint

Rem 700 aftermarket triggers

Post by savageboy23 »

Before I get a new stock on my 700 sps-v I was thinking about getting an aftermarket trigger. I have looked into Timney, Jewell, and Rifle basix. I have heard the Jewell is the best but the price is up there. What's everyone have in their 700?
Remington 700 sps varmit with Leupold vx-3 6.5-20 adj objective HS Precision stock and timney trigger
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Rem 700 aftermarket triggers

Post by Rick in Oregon »

All my M700's are running Jewells, but other rifles in the safe are equipped with Canjar, Jard, Rifle Basix, Timiney, Moyers and others I probably can't even remember. The absolute best out there and will spoil you for all others, is of course the Jewell. Nothing else really comes close.

Edit: In all fairness, the Timney is most likely the best value out there. I've got two in Sako Vixens, and they are almost as good a letoff as the Jewell.....almost. Remember you get what you pay for, but I've never installed a Timney and been disappointed in it's performance.
Last edited by Rick in Oregon on Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Nor Cal Mikie
.204 Ruger Guns: None. Had a 16" barreled rear grip SP that was WAY too wild.

Post by Nor Cal Mikie »

Rifle Basix on my XP 100 rifle. (and a few of my Savage's) LOVE that trigger! You breath on it and it goes off. 8) Still has the safety. ;) Some others don't have safetys.
RowdyYates
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington LVSF, Cooper M21V, C-Z 527 Kevlar V

Post by RowdyYates »

Good old Timneys work for me. Can't beat 'em for the price, and they're easy to install and adjust. The stainless model matches the look of the trigger shoe on a stainless 700 closely. Suppose if I were rich and did more target or competitive shooting I'd try Jards or Jewells. Can't speak for Rifle-Basix on 700s (the safety conversion might be a bit more complicated than the Timney w/safety), but can say from experience they make dandy rimfire triggers.
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

I don't own a 700, but I did install Timney triggers in both my Howa and Vangard. I have both triggers adjusted down to 12 to 15 ozs. I have also installed 2 Rifle Basix triggers on 2 rimfires that I own. For me, anyway, I think either one is a very good trigger, and a very good value. Unfortunately, neither makes a trigger for my Cooper. At least not at this time, but I will be ordering a Jard for it this year!
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
savageboy23

Post by savageboy23 »

Thanks guys for the input. I also saw that brownells had canjar for the 700's for a reasonable price. I'll have to do some thinking. I'm looking at gettin a new trigger and stock before summer time then I can dial in some reloads.
Remington 700 sps varmit with Leupold vx-3 6.5-20 adj objective HS Precision stock and timney trigger
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

I have a Jewell and they're tough to beat; hopefully availability is better than it was a few months back. I put a Timney in my 300-Weatherby and no complaints at all. I had a bad experience with Rifle Basix a while back followed by bad customer service to boot, so I don't have anything good to say about them.

I will say this though; if you can find a factory 40x trigger those are pretty darn good too. IMO; like a gun barrel, if its good its good [and vice-versa], regardless of the name on it.

HTH,
Pack Rat
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700, Howa, Thompson

Post by Pack Rat »

Interesting thread. I know nothing about after market triggers. But for 40 bucks I had a trigger job done on wifes SPS 700 and it is sweet. Gun guy said it was around a pound to 1.5. She is deadly with it.

Then I chanced upon a 700 VTR that had a much harder pull. So after a youtube search saw that there is a small set screw that can be backed out for a lighter pull. Which I did and it made a huge difference. It till isn't quite as light as wife's but way more acceptable.

Will try and shoot it this next week or so when we are back at the hunting place. Maybe i'll be able to get close to being able to shoot as good as the wife. But I sort of doubt it... lol...

Anyhow, my two pesos about trigger work without spending a bunch of bucks. Will try and remember to post back here after I, or her, shoot the VTR.

And yes,,,they are both .204's
NRA Endowment, TSRA Benefactor
savageboy23

Post by savageboy23 »

Pack Rat wrote:Interesting thread. I know nothing about after market triggers. But for 40 bucks I had a trigger job done on wifes SPS 700 and it is sweet. Gun guy said it was around a pound to 1.5. She is deadly with it.

Then I chanced upon a 700 VTR that had a much harder pull. So after a youtube search saw that there is a small set screw that can be backed out for a lighter pull. Which I did and it made a huge difference. It till isn't quite as light as wife's but way more acceptable.

Will try and shoot it this next week or so when we are back at the hunting place. Maybe i'll be able to get close to being able to shoot as good as the wife. But I sort of doubt it... lol...

Anyhow, my two pesos about trigger work without spending a bunch of bucks. Will try and remember to post back here after I, or her, shoot the VTR.

And yes,,,they are both .204's
I have the x-mark adjustables and am not too big a fan. I may go with Timney due to the fact they are cheaper then the Jewell.
savageboy23

Post by savageboy23 »

Has anyone ever put a Jard trigger in a 700?
Tokimini
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS with a Shilen barrel

Post by Tokimini »

I got a Rifle Basix from Brad for my 700 and it is a vast improvement over the stock Rem trigger. I'm very pleased with it.
savageboy23

Post by savageboy23 »

Thanks for the reply tokimini. I also looked at rifle basix but since I can't find a Jewell I'm probably gonna try and find a Timney.
willyp19
.204 Ruger Guns: REM 700 Custom Predator / Varmint, REM 700 VS

Post by willyp19 »

Jim White wrote:I have a Jewell and they're tough to beat;
+1, but I have a couple Rifle Basix triggers I've adjusted, and break like glass. So smooth!
zx10mike
.204 Ruger Guns: TIKKA T3 VARMINT

Post by zx10mike »

what about c g triggers 2 stage i have just ordered one,any one had one?
tbates
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger #1 Sporter

Post by tbates »

My gunsmith installed a Shilen in my Rem 700 VSF .223. It is my favorite prairie dog rifle, but not .204. My best .204 is Kimber 84M with an adjusted Kimber trigger, it is clean and crisp at about 1.5 lbs.