Your favourite bore cleaner

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
smbob
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint

Re: Your favourite bore cleaner

Post by smbob »

Bodei wrote:Wipe Out foam. Spray, let sit...wipes out copper, lead, powder. Doesnt stink up the joint. Good stuff.
+2
I really like the Wipe Out. Some times I have had to do a couple of treatments, but it does a great job without stinking up the joint.

Robert
wildbillbaby
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by wildbillbaby »

I use Kroil and Butch Bore Shine. You can get Kroil by the gallon for less then $50 dollars from the factory in Nashville Tenn
dan97526
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper M21, Cooper 38 20VT, CZ 17H

Post by dan97526 »

What about for cleaning in the field? It seems most bore cleaning products I'm aware of are intended to stay in the bore for an extended period to do their work.

I use Sweet's, but I'm thinking of trying Sharpshoot-R Wipe-Out/Patch-Out with Accelerator.
10RingRascal
.204 Ruger Guns: (2) Remington XR 100 Rangemasters , Kimber Pro Varmint, CZ

Post by 10RingRascal »

I've had pretty good luck with Hoppes #9 for the powder and Sweets 7.62 for the copper. My .204 is probably my worst rifle for fouling. But I've had a gunsmith scope the barrel and he says it looks new and he mentioned whatever I'm doing to clean it, keep doing it because it's working. It's really interesting to see what others are using to clean their bores. I might try a few of these out. Thanks guys! :D
Think fast, Talk slow.
broper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 sps

Post by broper »

I used Wipe Out foam on my .204 and got a lot of copper out, then I used Hoppe's #9 and cleaned the normal way until I was getting a clean patch, thought I had it down to bare metal. A couple days later I put some Montana Extreme through it and got a bunch more copper out! The Montana Extreme is strong smelling and you must use it with lots of ventilation but I'm sold on it. You don't want to leave it in the barrel any longer than what it says in the directions though. It was recommended by gun writer John Barsness. He said that he gets lots of barrel cleaning stuff sent to him to try and so far Momtana Extreme has worked the best.
bunny shooter
.204 Ruger Guns: Semi custom Remy 700 + Sightron STac 4-20x50

Post by bunny shooter »

I use KG carbon & copper removers, have done for a few years now & find it brilliant
Sidewinderwa
.204 Ruger Guns: Savages

Post by Sidewinderwa »

I usually put a couple patches of Montana 50 BMG Copper Killer, dry patch, Wipe Out accelerator and then Wipe Out spray foam. Normally only takes a couple dry patches to clean it out and finish it out with a patch of Eezox. Done!
Please, no Sidewinder today!