AR Barrel

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
frittsk
.204 Ruger Guns: none

AR Barrel

Post by frittsk »

Anybody have any experience with the Shilen mid-weight 20" barrel. Tactiko Arms shows them, but of course, they are out of stock. I am in the process of putting parts together for a build and want a good mid-weight barrel. The 24" bull barrels would be heavier than I would prefer. Are there any others out there besides the Shilen? Looking for some expert advise.
Smash
.204 Ruger Guns: Custom Built AR15

Re: AR Barrel

Post by Smash »

I just finished building an AR in 204. I ordered a Wilson Combat 18" Stainless Fluted direct from them. Haven't had a chance to really wring it out yet, but seems like it's going to be a shooter...and it's fairly light weight. I was going for a light, to mid weight coyote hunter. Haven't had it out coyote hunting yet...but it feels like it's going to be nice to carry.

ETA...btw, I ordered my WC back in March of 13. I got it in Feb of this year. They are telling me that they are tooling up to do their own chambers now so that they aren't at the mercy of outside shops. So you may get one sooner than me.
Storeyteller
.204 Ruger Guns: Frankenstein ar

Post by Storeyteller »

I got a DPMS 24" .920 fluted barrel on one of mine. I also rifles with Shilen and and Criterion barrels. That DPMS will shoot with any of em.
Wrangler John
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Precision Target/Shilen Custom

Post by Wrangler John »

If you want a barrel made to your specifications and are willing to wait then I suggest Hart Rifle Barrels.

http://www.hartbarrels.com/ar-15.php

I wanted a custom contour 24" .204 Ruger AR-15 barrel in 1:9" twist but without a gas port. I am building uppers that are straight pull bolt actions to avoid California's absurd assault weapons ban, a non-semiautomatic rifle completely avoids any confusion as to permitted features. Shooting varmint with one on public land works without the potential for drama. I also discovered, although with a limited sampling of handloads so far, that the bolt action concept is accurate with a couple of advantages. These are brass that isn't flung hither and yon, and the action stays as clean as any bolt action because propellant gas isn't dumped into the works. Another is that brass is ejected cool and clean. I sent them a G.I. spec bolt and they headspaced the barrel extension to that bolt and returned it ready to go.

Hart Barrels worked with me to make the project a success. If my result is any indicator, their barrels for normal semiautomatic applications should be as accurate and reliable.

First two loads with LT-32 powder, I was disappointed in my trigger control, but subsequent adjustments helped. Ten shot groups at 100 yards.