Cooper Model 21 chamber

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
Travelor
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper and Remington custom

Re: Cooper Model 21 chamber

Post by Travelor »

Well, here I am still awaiting on Cooper to rebarrel my rifle. At the end of this month it will be 16 weeks with no answer other than they are "hopeful" the barrel will be to them before 16 weeks has elapsed.

Can you say UNHAPPY!!!!!!!
RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Post by RAMOS »

Just find something else to focus on in the meantime and enjoy that Cooper when it does get back to you. Easy for me to say since I am not the one waiting for its' return, I know. Just one of those 'It is what it is' deals. I still stand by my earlier statement that it will be worth the wait. Of course, there is nothing wrong with making a weekly call to check its' progress as long as you keep the conversation friendly.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Travelor: When I'm in situations like you are now, I use the time to work on more brass for subject rifle, maybe load up more of its pet load, or work on other gunny, truck, or home projects to take my mind off the glaring fact that one of my pet rifles is not in the safe, nor in my hands.

Been there many times myself, still have all my hair too (well, most of it). Besides, Cooper does very fine work, and you wouldn't want them or anyone else rushing your re-barrel job, right? Once that baby is back home in your hands, the wait will be long forgotten as you re-acquaint yourself with your rifle again.....with a new barrel to boot!

Stay positive, it's the best way. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Travelor

Post by Travelor »

Well, here I am after an additional week. I just sent Cooper a status request and got the following response:

"I'm sorry George but I have not. They come in when they come in. Will let you know when it comes in.

Shirley Ann Clay
Customer Service/Custom Shop
Cooper Firearms of Montana Inc
406-777-0373
http://www.cooperfirearms.com"

This is really getting rediculous!!!!!!!!!!!
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Lighten up there, Travelor, yours is NOT the only rifle in their shop at present. Constantly bugging them will not get your rifle back any sooner, in fact it may have the opposite effect...... :chin:

I waited over eight months for a McMillan stock a few years back, and almost two years for a custom varmint rifle from a very well-known riflesmith. Sit back and relax, when it comes back, you'll be all smiles. Until then chill out and wait like the rest of us do.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Travelor

Post by Travelor »

Rich, I am trying.....................
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

I know it can be frustrating but it will like brand new when you get it back. Heck, today I'm sending a 17 HMR back to Savage for misfires, we'll see how long that takes. Shoot Cooper a email and ask them to include the test target and the load.

Jim
Travelor

Post by Travelor »

Well, I emailed Wilson to check on the barrel and found it had been shipped to Cooper on the 25th. Now I really can chill out as I know the barrel will be at Cooper this seek.

Big sigh.............................
Travelor

Post by Travelor »

It is now 3 weeks since Cooper has received the barrel for my gun and still no word as to when they will send it to me.

Currently they have had the gun 19 weeks to rebarrel it.

Just saying...
Travelor

Post by Travelor »

Beginning to wonder if I will ever get this rifle back....................
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

Right now your gunsmith is expertly preparing to fit your barrel to your rifle. He will check and recheck all his instruments until he is positive everything is perfectly aligned and within tolerance. He will not quit until he has achieved perfection. He knows your rifle was sent back because of an imperfection and he is determined that this rifle will be the essence of accuracy if it will bear his makers mark. He won't settle for anything less than utter perfection. Now, are you sure you want to rush him?

Have you made all the preparations for the return of your rifle. Do you have some rounds worked up to spec so you can fire form a lot of customized brass for your rifle? Have you got all the material to make a chamber cast? Do you have all the bags and rests that a rifle of this caliber deserves? Keep yourself busy with other preparations. Focus on getting everything ready for the day when you will not wait any longer.

Your anxiety will increase your delight when your rifle returns.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Travelor

Post by Travelor »

Skipper, I have everything ready just waiting, and waiting, and waiting on the rifle. The cases fired in the defective chamber were so expanded at the pressure ring that I was forced to purchase and use a small base die on all my loaded 500 cartridges before they would allow the bolt to close on the below rifle. I have Cerosafe, but not going to get that wrapped up in a factory barreled gun with a SAMMI chamber.

This thing has dragged out so long (almost 5 months) I have even had a Remington 700 custom barreled and stocked in 204 Ruger.

As to you first comments on the gunsmith - unless you work there I was think this is pure speculation (but hope it is true).
wirelessguy2005
.204 Ruger Guns: Custom 20 SCC, Savage LRPV 20 Nitro , Howa 1500 204 Ruger

Post by wirelessguy2005 »

Travelor,

I don't blame you for being upset, i would feel the same way. When you spend the money for a semi custom type rifle like a Cooper you expect a little more and rightly so. 5 months wait is more than enough time for them to complete a simple rebarrel job, especially considering it was a mistake on their part in the first place. To be honest this is a major problem with many businesses today, customer service after the sale is almost nonexistant these days.
Travelor

Post by Travelor »

Well another month (24 weeks) and still no rifle.

Last communication said "Ready to go back together and test."
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Travelor: How about just letting us know when the rifle comes back? We really don't need your "updates" and complaining...when it comes back, it's back. No amount of whining here will make it come any sooner, nor win you any friends.

Bite the bullet and wait just like the rest of us do in these situations. Just sayin'........ :chin:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA