204 Accuracy Potential

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

204 Accuracy Potential

Post by skipper »

Considering the hundreds of possible action, barrel, stock, trigger, and scope combinations out there, what would be the most accurate setup?
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Re: 204 Accuracy Potential

Post by RAMOS »

Factory, or custom?

Factory: Cooper, Savage, CZ. Three very different firearms with great reputations for accuracy.
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

Don't rule out the Howa's, for factory rifles. Very accurate right out of the box, and easy finding that very special load! ;)
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
skipper

Post by skipper »

So do you think a 204 built on an AR platform compares???
RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Post by RAMOS »

skipper wrote:So do you think a 204 built on an AR platform compares???
I would not know. My opinion, based on zero first hand knowledge, is that dollar-for-dollar, the bolt guns will have the better accuracy. I have nothing against AR type firearms. Just never been interested enough to throw my money at them. Obviously, if the Zombie Apocalypse ever comes to be, I will be regretting my choices. :mrgreen:
dsandfort
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 BTCSS

Post by dsandfort »

My 204R AR shoots as well as many of my bolt guns. It's a legit half MOA setup but it's not stock by any means. 24" heavy Shilen, ambi side charger and an adjustable gas block. I shoot it as a single shot most of the time by shutting down the gas block. I agree with Ramos that bolts guns generally give better accuracy for the money. I spent a bunch on this AR. I am ready for the zombies.
skipper

Post by skipper »

So what's it going to take to beat the examples provided? In a custom build? Will a custom build have a advantage over an "off the shelf" offering? If so, it might be hard to measure.
TwentyBore
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12FV

Post by TwentyBore »

(long ramblings redacted)
Last edited by TwentyBore on Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
skipper

Post by skipper »

There is a particular reason I'm pursuing this line of questioning. I have my own ideas about what factors contribute to accuracy. As a forum dedicated to the 204 Ruger, have we applied enough effort trying to define the limits of the cartridge? Please, stay tuned for a board announcement Wednesday. Day after tomorrow.

You are certainly correct that the most inconsistent variable is wrapped around the stock. Especially, in my case.
TEXAS222
.204 Ruger Guns: custom build AR 15-Rem 700 .204 VARMINT- .204 Kimber Pro Var

Post by TEXAS222 »

fwiw, I've built 3 quality AR's using Seekins, Magpul, Black Rain, Geisele, and other high quality parts. My 204 has a 24" Shilen that shoots .750 if I do my part. The other 2 are 223's with White Armament barrels & they can and will shoot one hole groups. After some research, I found out Whiteoak uses Wilson match grade blanks but do all their machining in house making throats shorter for use with ar length mags & ammo. I found this out first the hard way, a cartridge I normally shoot in my other ar's jammed in the Whiteoak lands. White Oak 204 ruger barrels use a 1-10 twist. Jim D
TEXAS222
.204 Ruger Guns: custom build AR 15-Rem 700 .204 VARMINT- .204 Kimber Pro Var

Post by TEXAS222 »

Forgot to mention, it's very easy to put the price of a Cooper into building one like these. JD
wirelessguy2005
.204 Ruger Guns: Custom 20 SCC, Savage LRPV 20 Nitro , Howa 1500 204 Ruger

Post by wirelessguy2005 »

There are plenty of accurate off the shelf type rifles chambered in 204 Ruger. I believe its also possible to build an AR or custom bolt gun that will equal or in some cases exceed the accuracy level of a factory rifle like the CZ Varmint or a handful of others. The question you have to ask yourself is if you are going to this level do you stick with an entry level factory cartridge offering like the 204 Ruger or do i go full custom and utilize a 20 caliber wildcat? When opening up that discussion you have to look at the options of better brass and how that can and will affect the accuracy potential of a cartridge. At this point you also start discussing the efficiency level of the cartridges. Not to take anything away from the 204 Ruger because it is a great cartridge and it paved the way for many of the 20 caliber items we see available today. There are a handful of 20 caliber wildcats that offer a better efficiency level and some times also a better accuracy level than the 204 Ruger is capable of. Maybe this is outside of the scope of this thread but i think it makes sense to at least consider it.
smgchandler
.204 Ruger Guns: remington 700 ruger 77 t/c encore and contender rem xr100

Post by smgchandler »

it really all boils down to your definition of "accurate". I have owned several 204's and most factory - contender / encore barrels -rem 700 - ruger 77 varmint - and most accurate factory was an xr100 in 204r . I believe if you want same hole at 100 yards like a 6ppc consistently then custom barrel is a must. 204 inherently is an accurate sub .5 with reloads after you find your "load" and without neck turning. I cant see spending the extra on custom unless you just have to have same hole accuracy. with the factory rem xr100 if you can see the crow at my house you can have the crow !! wind with a 39gr bullet is a whole different story that takes practice and plenty of magnification helps. Never owned a semi auto in 204 so cant comment on that.
savgebolt
.204 Ruger Guns: T/C Venture , model 12 savage

Post by savgebolt »

i think the question is , given a pen, and the want to build a most accurate .204 ruger file, whose components would you list to build that rifle,,, what barrel,,, manufacturer, contour , length,,,, what stock would you choose , mcmillan,,,boyds , bell and carlson etc, what config would you choose,,, whos action would you build it around , savage, remy ,, custom built action , what
brand trigger would you select,timney , jewel, sss, etc ,,what scope brand , magnification, retical , etc ,,,,would you choose,,,,looking forward to everyones thoughts
skipper

Post by skipper »

My thought was a Panda action, Shehane Tracker stock, Lilja 3 groove, Jewell 1 ounce trigger, and a Nightforce 12-24x56 Benchrest w/ 1/8th in. clicks. Reloading equipment included an arbor press w/ strain gauge, Wilson in-line seater, bushing reck sizer dies, Sinclair primer, trimmer, concentricity gauge. The list never seems to end.