chronograph problems

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
smitty55
.204 Ruger Guns: savage 25 walking varmint

chronograph problems

Post by smitty55 »

Hi have some questions for the gurus on chronographs. shooting a savage custom 204, 40 gr v max 26.4 4895 my chrony shows 3900 fps I feel registering way to fast, chrony is as far away as I can get it with the remote read out cord. I have read a lot of guys have same problem with high readings, but have not heard any solutions. No pressure signs at all , 1/2 - 3/4 inch groups at 200. just curious if others have had this with the chrony chronographs thanks
Jim
Duker
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 11, Savage dual port PTA. Both wear CBI barrels

Re: chronograph problems

Post by Duker »

With your stated load it's highly likely there is nothing wrong with your chronograph. If you know someone who has a chronograph y0u could do a comparison. Set up each time with your chrono the same distance from the muzzle using a tape measure.
RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Post by RAMOS »

Have not had any problems with mine. Is this the first time through with this load, or a new to you Chrony? Sometimes, even when accurate, the results can be surprising. Part of the advantage of having a chronograph. The only thing I may be doing differently, is that mine is set up about six or seven feet in front of the muzzle for twenty caliber (204R & 20 VT) rounds. Is that closer than yours? Do you have any other loads with a proven average velocity to use as a chrono check? I know some guys will suggest spending more money for a 'good' chronograph. All I can say is mine has been problem free. It is the blue one with the corded remote. Beta Master, maybe...
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

I'd have to agree with the above posters. I checked all four of my 204 Ruger target binders with velocity readings for all fired shots, and would agree that your Chrony is most likely giving you accurate readings. All barrels are different, chambers, environmental conditions, and a myriad of other factors enter into the equation.

Work up a decent load that gives you good accuracy, and as it's a 204R, will have no problem shooting flatter and faster than anything you've been used to, especially if you're used to shooting your 222 in the field.

Kick back and relax....you've got a screaming load there that's well under book max. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails